thatday.. asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

If nurses were to be fired due to lack of hospital $ & not enough work who would be fired first?

Young nurses 21-25?

Nurse aged 25-37, not managers or bosses?

Older nurses 38-65 who were not managers or bosses?

I am “older” and not a boss and fear it may be me as they hospital will keep the younger nurses to train them up and “mold” them to their liking..

Us older, competant and exoerienced nurses will be gone???

Do the popular ones keep their jobs first?

And those of us who do our work and do not complain get kicked out?

How do they decide??

Clearly the boss and assistant managers and new graduAte nurses keep jobs (as hospital gets funding for brand new nurses)

Terrified I’ll be fired due to my age

There is too many of us and not enough work..

450 nurses in a nearby stAte were fired this week due to lack of $ and lack of work

I do not live in US or UK

It is all about $ and the younger ones cost less

It's not my country, so I can't say.  Look at what other nearby hospitals have done in the past.

Be kind to yourself and continue to take good care of your patients.  I hope ppl will read yr question so that they won't think that the health field is wealthy.  Ppl need to pay their medical bills.  If not, hardworking ppl will suffer.  If you are laid off (made redundant),  immediately apply for unemployment benefits.  I assume that in your country, there is some kind of unemployment compensation.  Immediately start looking for work-- private duty, other hospitals, etc.   Be gracious.  You might get rehired by the hospital some time in the future.

Source(s): Experience as a healthcare worker.

The nurses who have just started would probably be fired before the old nurse maybe

Depends on whether they're unionized. Most unions insist that seniority is a factor. But minus that it would be up to the hospital to determine which staff can safely be laid off/furloughed. 

This will vary from country to country, state to state, hospital to hospital Nobody here can tell you if you'll keep your job.

• L

Most employers begin letting go of those who were recently hired first.

Chances are it would be one of two groups, neither have to do with age.  Either the nurses with the least seniority (less time working for the hospital) or the nurses/managers that are the most expensive (the ones being paid the most for their work).  So, the most likely will be the highest paid with the least seniority.

This is going to depend on the processes used by your organization to ascertain best patient outcome.  Likely, factors such as knowledge, experience, hours worked, length of employment, flexibility and adaptability will come into the equation.  If you  have concerns, speak with your Direct Manager.

i dont think we'll know that unless it happens

If you are over 45 you’ll be the first to go.

Too old and if you’re not a manager they’ll have little use for you.

They will keep the young as it is a good image for the hospital, people do not want to see old nurses working, they like the young and attractive, good media image.

Better get used to no employment..