Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 1 month ago

In 1984, how long would it take to make an intercontinental phone call?

I'm writing a story that takes place in the year 1984 and I need to know how long it'd take to make an intercontinental phone call. I wasn't alive back then so I want to make sure I'm getting my facts right. I know it'd be expensive, but was there some sort of process you had to go through? What would be a rough estimate of a phone call from New York City to Hawaii in 1984? Or NYC to Tahiti? I don't need anything precise, I just need a rough estimate, thanks.

One ringy dingy, two ringy dingys .....

Not much different than today.  You'd have had to input all the numbers on a dial or push-button phone and then it might take a few extra seconds to connect.  There was sometimes a slight lag of a second or two when you spoke. 

• L

By 1984, worldwide country code assignments happened. Larger, more populous countries had already set up area codes, too. Basically, the duration for making an international phone call was how quickly you could punch in the digits (a few seconds)... or if your phone had speed dial, however long that took to do - less than a second.

Another option was to dial 0 and ask the operator to place the call... That would be more expensive and take a few seconds longer.

I was living in another country in the 1970s. We made calls to the US. The calls were bounced off a satellite, and there was sometimes a very brief lag- so you'd say something, and there would be silence for a second, and then the person would respond. Long distance calls were VERY expensive back then, so no one talked very long or called very often. If someone was in Tahiti, it's possible that they had to call the operator, place the call, and then wait for the operator to call back when the connection was made. That wasn't necessary on the US side. 

• drip

It wouldn’t have taken much time to connect at all, it just would of been expensive