? asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 1 month ago

Julia or Juliana baby girl name??

We are expecting a girl and both my husband and I cannot agree on a name. Juliana is more new-aged but I'm afraid if we pick Juliana it may get spelled wrong, pronounced wrong (Juli Anna not Julia-AhNa), and that it will be shortened to Julie (which I am not a fan of). If we pick Julia, is this name too simple? What is your vote and opinion on these names? Thank you!

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

It is all up to you, but you are correct in that if you give a child a name with an alternative spelling and pronunciation, it is very likely that the name will be spelled with the more common spelling and while be pronounced with the more common pronunciation.  

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 3 weeks ago

there are other names start with a j for a girl

juliet

Jana

Jeana

Julian

Jean

Jeanine

Jaya

jasmine

Jazine

Jessie

Jessika

Jessica

Jodie

Judith

Jinger

Jaymi

jennifer

Jenny

Jade

Jada

Johanna

Jaylene

Jaqueline

Jaxine

Jaye

Jill

Justine

June

Jen

jess

• 1 month ago

Both a great!!!.  Both names originate from 'Julius (Caesar). 

The Netherlands, last monarch but one was Queen Juliana. 

• 1 month ago

I prefer Juliana

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • GB
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Most people  struggle with even 3 syllables for a name, and as you say Juliana is very likely to be shortened to Julie (which you don't like) So for that reason, I'd choose Julia , which is not 'too simple.'

• 1 month ago

While both are pretty, I prefer Juliana it has a fresher feel, a little more life. 

• 1 month ago

Honestly, I love both names! To me Juliana just adds a little extra oomp to Julia. Also if you name her Juliana she has the option to either keep it Juliana or Julia when she gets older. 

Julia. I love it. It is simple, but in a good way it's a classic for a reason. It also will age well 8/10

Juliana  to me it's just so pretty sounding, and I'm usually not a big fan of names ending in ana. To me it just flows so we'll off the tongue. It's also just kinda regal sounding to me. I do see it aging well, and as I state before if she chooses to she could always by Julia when she's older 9/10

• Faithe
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

If you want your daughter's name to be pronounced the way you like, why not spell it Julionna ?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I love  Juliana. Most people I know pronounce it correctly . Ana could be the nickname. I like a more modern feel.   Julia is still pretty and sophisticated 

• Moya
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Juliana

Is lovely name 😊😊😁😁

• 1 month ago

theyre both nice names

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.