Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Is buying a house 90 miles away from where you work too far? ?

I'll be starting a new job soon in Los Angeles county with a salary of 90K a year. I want to buy a house about 90 miles from my job and find ways to commute to work. Is this idea bat **** crazy? I can get so much more bang for my buck with a house outside of LA county.  

how long do you expect it will take you to drive that?  Then you have to do it again getting home.  That's a lot of time on the road in my opinion.  Plus the cost of fuel, wear and tear on your car (in a year assuming you work 5 days a week, that's nearly 45,000 miles a year.

• F

I spent 9 years commuting half that. It kills you eventually. 

When I worked for Westinghouse back in the 1990's I lived in Arizona and traveled to work in the NE corridor of the US once a month and met other guys on my flights that worked in Manhattan high rises (NYC) (financial district), but went home every weekend to be with kids and wives back to Phoenix. Crazy. There's a lot of people that do it today and their all reading this! It'll be a long commute but many do it.

How long are you going to be in a vehicle traveling to and from work every day if you work that far away?  You will know your area better than we will. From pictures of the traffic on freeways around Los Angeles, I can imagine you'll be spending at least 3 hours one way.  That's 6 hours a day, and 8 at work.  That's 14 hours a day. You have 10 hours left to sleep, eat, entertain yourself, watch TV or do home repairs, mow the lawn, etc....when are you going to do all that? Start work at say, 8 AM--you'd have to be leaving your house at 5 AM. Maybe traffic is less of a pain then--but the same thing is going to happen in the evening. There aren't enough hours in the day! 

Of course, you'll know it better than we--so how long WILL your commute take--on a good day AND a bad day (i.e. accident on the freeway?) And will that be the same EVERY day? Is there a faster way to get to work--bullet train, helicopter, public transportation?  Can you afford a rented room in a hotel for 5 days a week and only come home on weekends?  Can you work from home 3 days a week and only drive in two? 

You might indeed get more bang for your housing buck that far out, but you will really PAY for the trouble of a long commute, too. Consider smaller, cheaper and closer. A commute of that length will quickly wear you out. 

That's at least 3 hours a day of driving.. is it worth it?

• Eva

It's nuts. You'll spend 4+ hours a day commuting. That's expensive and exhausting.

That's about 4-5 hours a day commuting to spend 8-10 hours at work. Yeah, its to far.

Depends on how long you're happy to commute to/from your place of work. Consider time (especially if there's traffic), and also cost.

• Judy

Yup, real bad idea!  How many hours would your daily commute be?

• Amy

That's at least a 2-hour commute, maybe a lot more depending on how bad the LA traffic is. So you will spend 5 hours a day driving. You will have very little free time for entertainment and for chores and errands.

It's not as bad if you commute by train, because the commute becomes semi-free time you can spend on quiet activities. You might even get work done and reduce the hours you need to spend downtown.

But houses near the commuter rail are more expensive than those way out in the desert, so you lose part of the benefit of living so far from work.

I would suck it up and make do with a small apartment close to work that costs the same as the big house 90 miles away. You don't benefit from having a bigger house if you're not going to spend any time in it.

If you have kids, then you do need the space and you need to consider safety, quality of schools, etc. But you'll be giving up all your time with those kids.