Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 month ago

do you drive with the check engine light on and look away and pretend it’s not there?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • JOHN B
    Lv 6
    1 week ago

No. I look right at it. It comes on so many times I'm sick of re-setting it. I could pay $200 to have a mechanic fix it or I could buy 1 for $75 and do it myself.

I have temp, oil pressure, alternator and fuel gauges to tell me all I need to know.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

It is a warning to do something(sometimes immediately) or it will leave you stranded on the road in the middle of nowhere.  Different lights for different reasons.   I always check when it is the OIL light.  That is an immediate destruction thing.  Pretending it is not there is followed by the "CLUNK" which sounds like someone took a sledge hammer to your engine and wacked it a hard one. Then the engine stops running and you are MILES AWAY from civilization on a dark road in the rain.  

.   It is almost as bad as ignoring a flat tire. YOU DON'T.

. The other lights are not as important but it is better you know what controls what.

I don't rent, so it is MY CAR.  It is cheaper to fix it...even Mickey Mouse it to the nearest service station.  Even those kids know more than you.  They have a phone.

Cars have not changed in 100 years in the basics.

• 4 weeks ago

Sure, I can look away.  But the light is not nearly as distracting as the clattering, banging coming from under the hood and all the smoke belching out of the exhaust pipe!

• F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Of course it’s just a scam to make more money for garages. Carry on, just make sure you have a mobile handy unless you like walking.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Erik
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

My check engine light was on for more than a year.  The code was "EGR system", which is obviously very vague.  The car ran fine.  I wasn't sure exactly what to fix, and neither was my mechanic.  Eventually he took me to a smog guy that he knew, who said it was the vacuum modulator, which I got on ebay for less than $10 and put it in myself.  The light went off, not right away, but a few hours after I put it in.

• ...Show all comments
    • Erik
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Out here in CA we don't have inspection stickers, but we do have the strictest smog regulations in the USA.

• 1 month ago

As long as it is not flashing, it usually means that something is wrong with the anti-pollution system.  I drove like that for 1500 miles to get to my dealer.  They could not find anything wrong , erased the code and sent me on my way.

• Erik
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Your dealer is 1500 miles away?  Wow.  Mine is less than 15 miles away.

• Barry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

No that would be foolish.

• 1 month ago

No....I'm not an idiot. The people that do that are the same ones who never check their oil level in the motor and end up walking!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, it's always there. Except when I use my OBD II reader to reset it just before the emissions test.

• 1 month ago

I used to, and then there was a small explosion and I had to coast off the highway with no power. I’m still not exactly sure what happened, but I think it had something to do with physics.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.