Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 month ago

do you drive with the check engine light on and look away and pretend it’s not there?

• JOHN B
    1 week ago

No. I look right at it. It comes on so many times I'm sick of re-setting it. I could pay $200 to have a mechanic fix it or I could buy 1 for $75 and do it myself.

I have temp, oil pressure, alternator and fuel gauges to tell me all I need to know.

It is a warning to do something(sometimes immediately) or it will leave you stranded on the road in the middle of nowhere.  Different lights for different reasons.   I always check when it is the OIL light.  That is an immediate destruction thing.  Pretending it is not there is followed by the "CLUNK" which sounds like someone took a sledge hammer to your engine and wacked it a hard one. Then the engine stops running and you are MILES AWAY from civilization on a dark road in the rain.  

.   It is almost as bad as ignoring a flat tire. YOU DON'T.

. The other lights are not as important but it is better you know what controls what.

I don't rent, so it is MY CAR.  It is cheaper to fix it...even Mickey Mouse it to the nearest service station.  Even those kids know more than you.  They have a phone.

Cars have not changed in 100 years in the basics.

Sure, I can look away.  But the light is not nearly as distracting as the clattering, banging coming from under the hood and all the smoke belching out of the exhaust pipe!

• F

Of course it’s just a scam to make more money for garages. Carry on, just make sure you have a mobile handy unless you like walking.

• Erik

My check engine light was on for more than a year.  The code was "EGR system", which is obviously very vague.  The car ran fine.  I wasn't sure exactly what to fix, and neither was my mechanic.  Eventually he took me to a smog guy that he knew, who said it was the vacuum modulator, which I got on ebay for less than $10 and put it in myself.  The light went off, not right away, but a few hours after I put it in.

• Erik

Out here in CA we don't have inspection stickers, but we do have the strictest smog regulations in the USA.

As long as it is not flashing, it usually means that something is wrong with the anti-pollution system.  I drove like that for 1500 miles to get to my dealer.  They could not find anything wrong , erased the code and sent me on my way.

• Erik

Your dealer is 1500 miles away?  Wow.  Mine is less than 15 miles away.

• Barry

No that would be foolish.

No....I'm not an idiot. The people that do that are the same ones who never check their oil level in the motor and end up walking!

No, it's always there. Except when I use my OBD II reader to reset it just before the emissions test.

I used to, and then there was a small explosion and I had to coast off the highway with no power. I’m still not exactly sure what happened, but I think it had something to do with physics.