Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceSociology · 1 month ago

What is the difference in being 70 years old compared to being 60 years old?

What is the difference in being around 70 years of age compared to being around 60 years of age? What are the physical changes that one might start to notice? What are the societal differences that one might notice? Does a persons qualify of life differ between these ages and do people start perceive them differently?

I am just curious because 10 years difference is generally accepted to be a difference in generation and it is generally considered to be a reasonably big age gap.

• Fred

Regardless of how active you may be; the older heart can't supply the muscle blood energy it did when you were at 20 passes from remote theory into personal reality.

Source(s): Um? There is a reason I know this!
  • Paul

It's very different for different people. I know 60 year olds who can hardly walk, and I know 70 year olds who are very active

• I have the answer,  being that my hubby of 35 years is - ten years younger.  It's all in what one wishes to perceive of themselves.  :D

For starters, ten years.  It really depends on the individual and the community in which they live.  Here are some general thoughts:

1. Loss of some muscle mass/strength and flexibility

2. Retired, semi-retired, or getting close to retirement

3. More of their age-group and of their parents' (friends, family) would have died.

4.  More likely to suffer from age-related health issues such has arthritis, heart disease, Alzheimer's, cancer, diabetes, and depression

5. More likely to have lost a spouse to death.

6. More likely to have grown children and grandchildren

7. Less physically and socially active

8. Moved into a smaller home and or gone into a retirement or assisted living environment.

For people with good health and decent finances, and who haven't lost their spouse or close friends can be extremely happy, healthy, and engaged in life.  As they stop working they can spend more time on activities, interests, hobbies, and visiting friends and family.  The differences can be positive.

For people who have not been proactive about health and finances -- or just have bad luck -- the quality of life can definitely be worse.  

This all depends on a persons quality of life. If there are inherited situations from family it might cause things to happen also.  All in all taking care of ones self with good choices of diet, good attitude, non smoking & an active life style all contributes to how you feel later in life. Other than inherited afflictions an active life & good mental stimulation helps a great deal. At 60yrs.old I started to slow down a bit but kept working. At 70yrs. it was about the same. At 80yrs.I am still working full time as a chef.  Of course I cannot move as fast as I used to but I still get my work done. Arthritis is just about the only thing that bugs me & I guess it comes with the territory being that I am 85yrs. & 4mo old now. I do notice some people mention my age when giving me task to do thinking in my opinion that I would have a problem but their opinion changes when I finish what they asked in a timely manner. Everyone is different that's what makes life so interesting & great.  keep safe.

• Mike

Most people are still working at 60 but retired at 70.

Consider the age difference as analogous to owning a paid off car. From 60-70, you’re enjoying the ride and the freedom from monthly payments. As seventy arrives, the car starts nickeling and diming you to death with glitches and costing you, and continues until it doesn’t operate. 

• John

Its different for each person, some have taken better care of their health and physical fitness than others.

Different strokes for different folks. My granny is 80 and she can't really stand for that long, and she's really slow and doesn't have the best memory and can't drive anymore. But her neighbour is 90, i never see that women off her feet, i see her having conversations with the neighbours all the time, she drives and chooses to walk down to the local shop even though she has a car.

I'm not 70, I'm 28.