Emma asked in PetsDogs · 5 months ago

What kind of dog is my puppy?

So, I adopted her a few weeks ago, but the lady who rescued her and was taking care of her till she found a new home said that she doesn't really know how old this puppy is, and she also told me my puppy is a shnauser and yorkie mix, which I don't know if that really is true. I've been taking real good care of her and she is the best dog ever, but I have no idea what breed of dog she is. I know 100% that she is a terrier because she has terrier ears, terrier body shape (big ribs and a smaller stomach,) and also she has a 1 inch long tail. Also her face shape is that if a terrier as well. I just don't really know what kind of terrier she is and I don't know what all she's mixed with. I know she is not a pure breed whatsoever. I suspect she is part Doberman. But I really do not know.

Measurments:

-Body (from tail to nose): 19 inches

-Tail length: 1 inch

-Muzzle length: about 3 inches

-Mouth width: about 2 inches

Traits:

-Long, skinny body 

-Long legs (have not measured their length but from the picture you can see how long they are)

-short tail

-Fur is roughly 1 inch long

-Her paws seem to be a little thicker than her legs

-She has wispy fur under her chin and on her jaw line, but it isn't as thick and prominent as what a shnauser has

-VERY fast runner. I mean INCREDIBLY fast. 

-She gallops like a horse when she walks 

-Ears that cannot stand up, instead they flop forward

-Gets very excited easily, very energetic, not much of a lap dog at all

I tried my best to get good angles, but she is not one to sit still lol!

***The long wispy fur under her chin (can't really see it in these pictures very well) is what makes me think she *might* be part shnauzer

I do not understand why her tail was docked either. At first I couldn't tell if it was docked or if it grew that way. However, I do believe her tail has been docked, which makes me very sad. But I promise to take the best care of her that I can. She needed a forever home and that place is here with me. 

Most of her marking look like Doberman, and German Shepherd By the size of her paws, she will be a big dog. Cropped tails are done on Dobermans. There are other mixes,  Hard to tell. You could have her DNA tested. You might find out she's a mix of multi breeds.

She's a mutt of at least three breeds.  Hard to see much of the dog in these horrible pictures.

LOL "the lady who rescued her and was taking care of her till she found a new home".  Did you make that **** up or did she?  You didn't adopt you BOUGHT a mutt puppy from a backyard breeder. Hope whatever you paid for it you still have another $500+ for altering, shots and everything else.  In the "few weeks" you've had this mutt have you bothered to get it in?  It needs to be tested for Parvo AND get its puppy shots.  Get it spayed before four months.She wasn't born with a one inch tail.  The tail was DOCKED - CHOPPED OFF which further confirms this is a backyard breeder.  Docking tails is cruel but to dock the tail of a MUTT that isn't subject to the breed standard?  WTF???!!!!

Cant see the breed of him, it will show more when he growing.

PS: If you need the pet seat covers check out cupets.

• keerok

It's a mongrel. I can't see Schnauzer or Yorkie at all. It doesn't matter though. What's important is that you love the dog and take very good care of it.

Part of your "really good care," of course, is well puppy visits.  The Vet can't answer your questions?

It's Schnauzer.

I see possibly hound and shepherd in there.

Maybe a little terrier or something similar with the wire coat (like a wirehaired dachshund)... Which would be why she has the wisp of hair on her chin that you see

Your discription is not enough to identify any breeds that may be in her.  A picture would be much better.

• *****

That tail is docked, so it's no indication of breed, just that whoever bred the puppy decided to dock it. There's nothing in particular about the dog that makes me think "terrier", her ear type, head shape, and body shape aren't specific to terrier breeds, and there is a wide range of ear types and body types within terriers.  Her paws are large because she's a growing puppy who will get larger. It may have some schnauzer, or any one of a number of other breeds with similar coat types. I doubt it is a Schnauzer and Yorkshire Terrier mix. It may have those breeds in it, among others (probably larger, short haired breeds), or it may not. 

Studies have shown people are TERRIBLE at identifying mixed breeds based on appearance. If you're that curious, you can pay for breed DNA testing. Still not super accurate and is for entertainment only, but it is more accurate than guessing based on appearance.

You may need to wait until she's older to really tell. Her face, body shape, all of it will change as she gets older and more features become more prominent. My dog was supposed to be boxer mix. HA. The older he got, the more Border Collie came out. His snout got a little longer, the hair got longer, the tail curled up more, and more BC behaviors started coming out. Many breeds have trait behaviors that make it easier to guess what they are. As a pup, he was just that- clumsy, silly, wonky, derpy, but as he got older, even MORE BC came out. His overwhelming need to herd and endless energy, and his nervous ticks and anxious behaviors and finicky eating, all very prevalent of BC's. His other part is pitty, and you can tell by the neck and jaws, and his softer side. BC's aren't known to be super-affectionate or cuddlers, however, many pitty's are. 

So right now, still tiny, hard to tell. Honestly, looks like there's a good amount of some kind of hound in her, perhaps some terrier if you're seeing the wiry, coarse hair, too. As she grows, pay special attention to her behavior. This can be a key indicator to what she could be mixed with. And, many people who have had all kinds of dogs will give you their take. Pay attention. Before we even had a guess, many people would come up to us and say he was part BC, no doubt, and pitty. 

• Eva

Don't know why they docked the tail of a mixed breed puppy. She looks like some sort of hound mix to me. She is really cute.