Should I risk barbecuing the meat from my freezer?

I had a bunch of fresh hamburger, that I put in the freezer, along with some already frozen chicken breast. Unfortunately, my freezer was overstuffed, and everything fell out last night and defrosted. Do you think it would be safe to either barbecue it, or cook it, while leaving some of it in the refrigerator for a few days? Or should I just throw everything out?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

If you are saying this all happened last night, its pretty safe to eat, as defrosting overnight would not have increase the temperature to spoil the meat. Better hurry before they start to stink.

• IvaB
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

I honestly don't think that they can be saved,but it's your call.I hate to throw away costly ingredients,but sometimes thats' the way it is.

• 4 weeks ago

It's going to depend on how long the meat was sitting without refrigeration before you found it. If there are still ice crystals in it, you can actually re-freeze it. If it's completely thawed and COLD, you can cook it and re-freeze it cooked. Or you can make recipes out of it and freeze those. If the meat was completely thawed and WARM, toss it. Even cooking might not destroy the bacteria. 

• Fun facts: Echinococcosis is a cute jungle worm, look it up.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

You could cook it and store a lot of it in the refrigerator, but be sure to cook it. Some of the cooked meats can be refrozen too. 

• 'They're rapists ... some, I assume, are good people' Trump

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • denise
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Cook and use what you can over a couple of days.

Most meats can be frozen again once its been cooked if you can fit it into your [tidied ice box?].

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Kind of depends on How defrosted the meats were. Room temperature for a few hours? Well, not so good. Mostly thawed should be fine to cook, but only Right Away. 

• 4 weeks ago

well, isn't that the idea of freezing and defrosting. ? 

Okay, so now it's defrosted...........well, start cooking it up then. I wouldn't let it sit in the fridge more than a day or 2 though. 

• Random Facts: Pee is stored in the balls

• 4 weeks ago

Yes, it's safe. It would take a couple of days for any bacteria (that would be killed if the meat is cooked thoroughly) to excrete into the food the toxins that cooking does not get rid off, and will make you sick. Cook it all, make dishes that you can freeze to eat later. Pasta sauces and chili with some of the ground beef, soup and casseroles with some of the chicken...

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Well that's the idea of freezing it. When you want it you take it out of the freezer, defrost it, cook it and eat it. There would be no point in freezing it if you had to throw it away when it defrosted.

Yes, so long as it has been keptcold leaving it in the fridge for a few days is fine.

• Random facts: Trump comes from french "tromper" which means a mistake in english, that refers to his birth.

Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

After you let it thaw out YES.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.