Friends have video of me being jokingly racist back when I was a freshman in hs?

It's on a fb group chat some of my old friends still use. It's a video of me imitating murder of a Japanese journalist by isis taken the same year it happened (2015). I'm not a bigot, and im not a racist. I'm active with anti-racism now too, and I've never genuinely "meant" any of it. Now I understand the gravity of what I've done, and I ******* hate myself for it. And Im also scared of the consequences that it may pose on me in the future. There's about 10 of my friends in it, and they r all close friends of mine. But I also think tht telling them to delete it and reminding them abt the video now will put me at risk even more... I have no idea what I should do. Any thoughts?

• A.J.

The best thing would be an edit. Delete the video and replace it with an apology. "This post was seen as offensive humor and I deleted it. I apologize to anyone I offended."  You then add a new post in more words explaining how both society and you have changed taking racism as far more serious an issue now. If you cannot edit the back entry, the administrator can, or just delete it and add an explanation as a new entry. You can say you were part of the problem and now trying to be part of the solution. 

• Paul

We all did stupid things at that age. Just live your life as it now is, and no-one will hold that against you. Especially if it is obvious that that wasn't the real you.

It's not the end of the world. There is no such thing as an experience with negative value, if it doesn't kill you, because you will learn something. You may be learning how others feel first hand at being helpless against negative judgements like those you claimed to have judge. Your actions define you. Not an isolated event from the past. people who want to vilify you for those things w/o understanding have their own lessons to learn. Others have given more practical (good) advice, but mine is meant to encourage.

• Dave

Unless you're a Democrat, you're dead.

• martin

You are at their mercy, so be honest with them now and tell them how you feel now.

We get that all the time in politics.  Many democrats have pictures taken of them that surface of them wearing white hoods.  All they do is say, "that's not who I am." and that's the end of it.

• Mike

There is nothing jokingly about bigotry