Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureMythology & Folklore · 1 month ago

How can I learn magik safely?

I'm interested in magik, I love the idea of it and find the world a little boring to be honest. So in my boredom I've read up on my history and myths and legends and I have become obsessed with the idea of magik? Was it real? Is it real? Can it be learned? If so how can I learn it safely? I feel like an idiot asking this question I mean if it were real wouldn't I have seen it at some point or evidence of it? I get like this though, I watch a movie and I think my boring life, I wish I lived like that haha, it isn't the first time I've been fascinated by something but I guess this stems from a lack of spiritual guidance, I often feel lost or soulless and somethings give me life, so that's my why? Now I'm looking for a how?

• 3 days ago

Magik as a type of illusion is difficult and takes time to learn.  But if you were thinking about "supernatural powers" then forget about it.

And by the way, don't wait around for spiritual guidance because that does not exist as an external force either.

• Namito

Magic is not safe.  I'm wondering what history, myths, and legends you have read so far.  Go to ( PDFDrive.com) and find some books.  The first half of Old World Witchcraft by Raven Grimassi will speak in great details about the history.  I suggest you get the phone app "amino" and join the Pagans and Witches forum.

I'm pretty sure that if you life is boring now, it will be boring once you look at what I'm telling you about.  You have to guide yourself.  Nothing can give your life meaning.  That's your job, mate. 

“𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒆𝒆𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒚𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒔𝒉𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒗𝒂𝒊𝒍 𝒚𝒆 𝒏𝒐𝒕,

𝒖𝒏𝒍𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑴𝒚𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒚:

𝑭𝒐𝒓 𝒊𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒄𝒉 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒔𝒆𝒆𝒌𝒆𝒔𝒕,

𝒕𝒉𝒚 𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒆, 𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉 𝒔𝒉𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒏𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝒊𝒕 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒆.”

― 𝑫𝒐𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝑽𝒂𝒍𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆, 𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒈𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑮𝒐𝒅𝒅𝒆𝒔𝒔: 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑴𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒇 𝑴𝒐𝒅𝒆𝒓𝒏 𝑾𝒊𝒕𝒄𝒉𝒄𝒓𝒂𝒇𝒕

Source(s): over a decade of study
  • Dubbs

It was and still is real to certain extent. But it's been widely revoked from public circulation, so much so that you can tell from everyone else's answers it's no longer believed to be real.

To be clear, Harry Potter magic is just in the movies, that style of Magic does not exist. But there are areas of the occult that go unexplored. The difference between magic and magik was coined by Aleister Crowley to note the difference between sleight of hand stage magicians and those who delve into the occult arts.

In ancient times magik was primarily used by the priestly class in Ancient Egypt,  the Druids of the Celtic Isles, voodoo witch doctors in certain African Countries, the Levites of ancient Hebrew that practiced the Qaballa, etc.

This knowledge,  though slightly different in interpretation from culture to culture all stem from a time far more ancient.

But then the Catholic Church happened. When they become the official religion of the Holy Roman Empire they deemed such practices as heretical and Satanic and sought to eliminate this knowledge from circulation. Milking the minds of the shamans before killing them and keeping this knowledge locked away.

Some forms of magik, such as Astrology, was allowed to stay as it was deemed useful in understanding demons, which is conferred in 14th century Christian writing.

The old ways of preserving the knowledge through adepts of the temple was no longer safe, especially when Christianity tightened its grip, forcing all adherents to convert to Christianity or die.

The occult knowledge was passed down through bloodlines (familial associations) and underground gatherings come to be known as secret societies. For hundreds of years magik could not be practiced in the open due to the Witch hunts and inquisition. If the church were eager to kill people possessing this knowledge, then the secret societies would require strict oaths to be preserved. This is reflected in modern day Freemasonry where the intiate must swear to have his tongue ripped out and heart plucked from his chest should he ever reveal the secrets of the order.

But over time things changed a d the church began to lose power, after Martin Luther nailed his 91 Thesis on the Church door; and the onslaught of the 100 Years War (aka Wars of Religion); King Henry VIII starting the Church of England; and Finally King James I had the Bible printed for public consumption, so people were now free to decide for themselves on Biblical interpretation. Prior to this point only the clergy were allowed to read of the Word.

It was at the beginning of the 18th Century that the secret societies began to reveal themselves to the world. Freemason publically opened its first lodge in England in 1727. The days of torture stake burned had ended, and the worst the Church could do was excommunicate someone for belonging to these societies.

The occult sciences, as they were called, were practiced more openly for a brief time. Many notable figures such as Sir Isaac Newton, Sir Francis Dashwood, Fancis Bacon, etc. were practitioners of some form of the occult sciences.

But someone within the areopagus of the Illuminated Masons issued the Masonic Rite of Strict Observance. This prohibited initiates from learning the occult sciences without the authorization of "Unknown Superiors". Meaning someone high up in either the Masons or Illuminati (the two secret societies formed an alliance in 1772) decided it was too dangerous to practice. It does make sense considering how many people flocked to join these secret societies. Although they looked for the brightest minds simple minded people just wanted to be a part of something. Dropping this knowledge in the hands of the wrong person could be dangerous. From there the knowledge simply passed into oblivion, only to be maintained in secret within the societies.

Knowledge is not for everyone, only those who seek it. I've read many books that explain and cover the laws governing magik, but asides from divination I've never gone to the lengths of practicing operative magik.

There are numerous books you could look into or try buying that cover these things in greater detail. I wouldn't jump into The Lesser Key of Solomon just yet. You would need to start out learning about the magik and how it works first: Secret Teachings Throughout the Ages by Manly P. Hall is a good book to start with. I would also suggest Black Arts by Richard Cavendish.

You can also try the works of other occultists like Helena Blavatsky and Eliphas Levi, maybe Aleister Crowley's books too, but he doesn't seem to share his methods, but constantly proclaims his egotistical self-righteousness.

I hate to break it to you, but there's no such thing as 'magik'.

The world can be an extremely boring and mundane place - if you let it.  Fortunately there are any number of things that you can experience that make the claims of 'magik' pale in comparison.

It was real to the ancients. It seems it is used and needed in a time when man needed some guidance. Not unlike organized religion, used to not control people but to give them something to look for/at other than a bleak gray world they lived in.

As for spelling. The others here lack knowledge. All they had to do was look it up why.

Usually the spelling of magic is for people like david copperfield and houdini. It is illusion or slight of hand. Trickery if you will. Where as the magick or magik is more or less the esoteric side. It is to distinguish the 2 or appropriate reasons.

There have been records that may indicate that Druids really did have such powers. This o course is speculation based on the fact you have an outsider reporting abt a group just on visual conjecture compared to actually being someone of the group.

as for practicing safely. There are "rules" or "laws" that deal with this. These are not mans laws but laws of the universe.

Basically do not do anything harmful to others and do not do things you can not undo. And remember whatever energy goes out HAS to comeback usually a 3 to 10 fold.

That what goes out must comeback is also in physics.

Most magick is akin to chemistry (alchemy), physics, engineering. So in a sense it was a physical science and physics bordering on the insane, to explain why and how things exist.

Also it is in the bible all the physics. Just as "God spoke" it is dealing with vibrations of force, sound waves.

So magick, science and religion all are part of the greater and are inferior on there own.

There's a reason you feel like an idiot for asking this.  The reason is the fact that you answered it yourself.

If magic were real, why doesn't anybody use it?  Why are you wasting so much of your life in school if you can just cast a knowledge spell?  Why do grownups get jobs and go to work all the time if they can cast a money spell?  Even if only very few people (non-muggles) could use magic, why don't they ever cash in on it.  Just think of what an average guy would pay for an invisibility spell.  

But alas, you never see it.  The closest you'll ever find is a small group of teenage girls who tell you magic doesn't work that way.  Whatever way you want magic to work, that's exactly how it doesn't work.  That seems like a really random coincidence, no?

Magic is not real and never has been. Misspelling it doesn't make it any more real.

• KennyB

Neither magic nor magic is real - or ever was.  It exists only in fiction and imagination.