Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 5 months ago

How do I evict tenants out of my condomimium?

I recently purchased a condo and found out there are tenants living in it.  Apparently the prior owner had a lease with them but I am the new owner and I wish to move in immediately.  I want to put them out on the street so I can make this my home.  Can I just write them an eviction immediately?

I don't care what their lease says - I bought the place... they don't have a  lease with me.

< I don't care what their lease says - I bought the place... they don't have a lease with me. >

In Trollsville, the new landlord frequently eats the tenants to solve the problem.

When are you people going to learn that these anonymous posters in the Real Estate section are trolling you?

• hello

I am so sorry that you are going through this. Sounds like a nightmare. Regardless, here you are. Be kind to the occupants. They truly hold the key to solving this inequity.

You like it or not are their landlord, so read the contract they have to see when it ends and give legal notice that you will not renew their contract, or speak to them and see if they will accept cash for keys, so they leave asap or if you are not prepared to obey  the law then you will find yourself with tenants who will sue you and win, who will contact the police and you will be arrested for threats/harrassment and you will be told it is a civil matter and you will have to pay to go to court to get them out.........and if they have a contract you will lose

• ron h

if you mess with these people, they'll be in your place for MONTHS while paying no rent.  The seller owes you a LOT of money.  Call your lawyer, don't mess with these tenants. You also can NOT raise the rent. 

You better check two things first:  if their lease contains any clause that says they have 'tenants rights' in case the place gets sold to a new owner, in which case you would be breaking the law if you tried to evict, and if your SALES agreement has any clause about them being able to stay as long as their rent is paid. 

If you determine that they have no clauses like the above, then you MUST give them a 'reasonable' amount of time to make other arrangements.(30-60 days usually.) This will vary from place to place. You can't simply 'put them out on the street.' You must give them WRITTEN notice you will be terminating their rental agreement and you must give them time to respond, then actually make arrangements to move. Don't be a dick about this. You aren't going to pack up those tenants and get them out any time soon. And if you try it, they can sue your butt off. 

If they have any right to stay, any action on your part is criminal, not your RIGHT as an owner. Just remember that before you act. 

The lease runs with the property.  You will have to wait until the current lease ends.  If you don't like that, then you shouldn't have bought a home with tenants in it.

• Judy

In most states the buyer must honor any existing lease.  If you want them out faster, you'll have to offer them enough money that they're willing to move.  You might not care, but the law does.

What does their lease say?   We are not clairvoyant.

Nope. I think most states requires you to give them 30 days notice.