Should I throw it away ?

I left my banana bread out to cool, then fell asleep and forgot I left it out. When I woke up I noticed flies on it! I felt disgusted and wanted to throw it out, but then I felt like I just wasted 1 hour of my time and wasted food as well. Should I just toss it? 

honey, you hve eaten food that flies landed on all your life...just because you never saw it happen doesn't change that fact. Why do you think your stomach acid is so strong..I would eat it in a heart beat and I am 67 and rarely sick....lol Being too clean and anally retentive about being clean isn't necessarily healthier...

• denise

I'd throw it away..... When I've baked anything and leave it to cool, I cover it with a clean tea cloth, like the orange cake I baked today.

• I think a GOOD cutting off of the top/sides (wherever the flies could access) would be okay. Realize that you're looking at fly poop, fly vomit, fly eggs, and whatever bacteria the fly picked up from wherever it had been previously (on a dead animal carcass, on dog poop, all kinds of fun places). I'm not particularly squeamish about food sanitation and am not remotely bothered by a fly just stopping by my food before I swat it away, but this sounds like a pretty extreme case. Don't eat the exposed part of the bread

Frankly, I hate to see food going to waste, but I would toss it. Flies are dirty and disease carriers and there is no way I would eat that.

• kswck2

Bananas are cheap enough not to take a chance. And it would take more than 175 degrees to kill any bacteria. Just throw it out. 

Okay flies sat on it so take your banana nut bread and put it back in the oven and heat it up 175 degrees and it will kill any fly bacteria

If it really bothers you, why not take a sharp knife and slice 1/8 to 1/4 inch off the top?  It'll look weird but you'll have clean banana bread underneath!

• Lilly

Yeah heat it up like Matthew said. Most bacteria can't handle much heat or cold unless it grew in that environment.