Moving from the US to Europe?

If I decided one day to move to the UK, what challenges would I face? You have the obvious: Make sure you have a job, a place to live, and transportation. But as far as 'living' there, is there a citizenship test like there is for the US? Do I have to live there for so long to be considered a resident?

I realize this might be an ignorant question, but I'm genuinely curious what would stop me from just up and leaving.

DON'T DO IT!  The UK is a terrible place to live in, Americans are loved here but because of the new point system, you would have to apply for a sponsorship for jobs with skills shortage. There's no citizenship test, all my friends from abroad never had any tests, just live here for 5 years to obtain citizenship and they still can't speak English. I'm going to the US because your country is better, trust me...the other side is NOT greener!

You cannot just "move" to any foreign country. To be admitted to work, you must qualify in an occupation in short supply in that country. IF qualified, then you must find a job opening with an authorized employer (holding permission to consider foreign applicants in a shortage occupation), compete with applicants from around the world for that one job. IF hired, the employer must apply for your temporary employment visa. Do not count on ever getting legal permanent residency status, although that might eventually be possible. UK does have tests for citizenship, if you ever attain ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain - legal permanent residency status), including UK history exams. You must reside in UK for a minimum of 5 years after attaining ILR, and getting to such a status from temporary employment visa is a long, difficult process.

The thing that would stop you is that you must have a sponsored visa to live legally in the UK. This would be either via the sponsorship of your UK citizen spouse or of the employer who has permission from the government to import high level foreign workers. Minus that, or perhaps being from the EU and being able to slip in before Brexit is complete, you likely won't be living in the UK. 

1st, you need a work visa. This requires a confirmed qualifying job offer from an employer with the right to sponsor visas.

IF you get one, and then live in the UK on this visa for 5+ years, you can apply for Indefinite Leave To Remain.

Once you've held ILR for 12 months, you can apply for citizenship; and yes, there's a test.

Ok, generally there are three ways you can get to live and work in the UK.

1. Marriage to a UK citizen who is able to sponsor you

2. Close family member who is a British citizen who is able to sponsor you

3. Being offered a job in the UK. Your employer then sponsors you.

So which of the three you choose is your call.

As to 'challenges' you will face once here.  Well, you will find some things better, some things worse.

Better include that health care is free, you will get more employee time off at work. Probably 25 days plus public holidays from the get go. It's easy to take foreign holidays once or twice a year.

Worse - housing is expensive, both to rent or buy, especially in London and the South East. And houses will be a lot smaller than you are used to.

You can live there for up to six months if you have enough money to support yourself. If you want to work there you will need a work visa and of course a job. And I am pretty sure there are requirements like specialist skill sets, or qualifications that they can’t find in the U.K. just like the US requires. and yes you do have to live there to gain any residence status which again is like the US, and as with the US it will take 5 years to become a citizen.

If you want citizenship then yes there is a test,  24 questions on British life and customs in which they give you 45 minutes to answer. The US test was 8 or 9 questions randomly taken from 100 questions which you had to learn before you took the test.

I’m the other way round, I came to the US in 2003, got the green card super fast in less than a year and citizenship in five years, while retaining my British citizenship as well. But probably returning in a year or so, we have had a good life here and the people are great, but I just miss old blighty too much!

The only realistic way for your to move permanently to the UK as an American is to marry a British citizen who can sponsor you for a spouse visa.  

• Maxi

First you would have to have a visa that allows you to live in the UK and that visa would also have to give you work rights....... no employer can employ you without your proving you have work rights and if that visa is a work visa then that is sponsored by one employer and it is unlikely  you have a high level STEM degree and years of STEM work experience. Without the correct visa you can't rent as it is illegal to do so...landlord would be heavily fined, all cars have to be insured, taxed and MOT'd and without the correct visa and residential address you can't do that and with CCTV and police APNR you would be stopped and arrested within a week

The UK is not like the US, the UK doesn't have laws in place and doesn't police them, you would be back in the US very quickly along with a travel ban

• Tavy

No one can just move here to live. You would need a job offer from a UK Employer who would have to prove that they cannot find someone in the UK. So unless you are a top level Scientist or whatever, it is not going to happen.

All you will get is a Tourist Visa, if you overstay that then you will be deported and never be allowed here again. An Employer would be fined ten thousand pounds for employing you.

So forget it.

• Lisa A

You can't just decide to live in another country. You have to qualify. So why would the UK want you?