Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 month ago

Fear of planes ?

I’ve never been on a plane I’m 18 and I’m absolutely terrified, I ofc want to travel but the thought of a possible plane crash I don’t know if I could do it and I know it rarely happens and it’s the safest way of travel but IF it did happen I’m 100% dead which I don’t like, I know car crashes happen more but at least I got more chance of survival ah what do I do to overcome this?

• Erik

One thing that helped me (I was never too scared to fly, but sometimes I would be a little nervous while on a plane) is to realize that the pilot knows 100X more about planes and flying than I do.  And he's flying, he doesn't think it's too dangerous.

The chances of anything happening is very low.  If it does, well, it will be absolutely terrifying but you'll soon be dead.

Go to your family doctor, explain your fear and ask for something to relieve your anxiety while flying.  OR go to therapy. You're right about the plane crash statistics--it IS safer than driving, and many other kinds of travel--and people do not always die in a crash. Sometimes they survive. Either way, you can't let the fear rule your life--so if you are obsessing over it, you need to see a psychologist who specializes in such fears and try to get over it. 

With fear and phobias, all the logic in the world isn't helpful. If it was, there would be no phobias. Many people are afraid of air travel. And many people can and do still fly, despite their fears. 

If you have to fly somewhere soon, and don't have time for the therapy, ask the doc for something like Xanax, which he can give you in a limited quantity--which will be of help.  

There are other ways you can travel. If you want to travel very far distances then I recommend either using a plane, or boat. If you were to use a boat then you would be able to survive longer than a plane. Yes, boats can crash too like the Titanic crashing into an iceberg, but you would not immediately die if you crashed into something on a boat. You might even be able to get on to something else if you were to crash on a boat, so I think the chances of you living would be higher if you were to travel by boat.

I have my boat license. I am planning on buying a boat, so I can live on it, and maybe travel. I already been on a boat a couple of times.

• Scott

If you ride in a passenger vehicle, either as a driver or passenger - you are taking a much higher risk than flying on a plane. Hundreds of thousands are killed each year in auto accidents. The number of people killed in airplane crashes are a mere fraction of that.

You either get over it or you stay home.

• Maxi

The definition of fear is an emotion caused by anxiety or the uneasiness of being afraid of something or someone. Fact is you have never flown, so your fear is irrational as you have added other things to that 'fear' that are untrue...Reality is you have less chance of survival in a car and a much higher percentage of being in a crash than in a plane, you don't 'fear' travelling in a car because you have done it, so you KNOW fear of it would be irrational.... lots of airports do 'flying phobia' days so maybe once the covid 19 is under more control you can check your local airport and see if they do them and then get over your 'fear'

You’re definitely not alone, and although you’re aware of safety vs risk, your fear doesn’t have to be logical. People often ask for a mild sedative used primarily  for the trip and back, and physicians aren’t likely to deny your request as it’s minimal. 

Overthinking situations usually leads to anxiety .

I had a friend who was afraid of flying . 

He almost missed his sons wedding because of the fear of flying . 

Once he flew and saw what the positives were from flying his fear disappeared .

Yes life is a gamble . But once you let fear rule it life can be miserable.

You don't have "more chance of survival": Air travel resulted in 0.07 deaths for every 1 billion miles travelled compared to 212.57 for motorcycles and 7.28 for cars.