Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 months ago

What should I do with my life? I'm confused... Please read description, it's important. Thanks for input.?

I am 29, turning 30 next year. I always wanted to be an actor but instead I focused on supporting my family because our financial conditions weren't good. Now, that my families financial conditions are very well off, and during this whole covid19, I realized i'm not happy and want to pursue my dreams of becoming an actor. I'm obsessed with everything related to the industry. Now, I know my parent's won't agree with me going away to pursue my dreams, I've tried before. I'm not even allowed to live separately let alone go away for couple years to pursue my dreams. If I leave, I will be "disowned" in a way. Now, I love my family but I'm suffocating at this point. I have to try to pursue my dream because if I don't I'll regret it for the rest of my life. I have enough funds to last me two years with rent and food without working. If I am able to make money during the time that's a plus. But now the question is, what should I do? I'm also aware of how hard it would be but giving it a try is all I care about because I don't want to say to myself that I didn't try. Should I risk the relationship with my family and leave for 2 years to break through as an actor? I really want to, but I know my situation is very complicated. And I have no option but to succeed after I leave. I am also risking leaving my career behind that I've built for past 4 years. I'm making good money. So a lot is on stake. What should I do? 

i think you should do what you want, its your life

• Edna

It's going to take you a lot longer than 2 years to "break through" as a professional actor - it's going to take years. 

Professional actors aren't "discovered". They have spent YEARS training and perfecting their craft before they're ever hired (and paid) for their first tiny role as a professional actor in a professional production. 

It's fine to pursue your dreams; but before you quit your job in order to pursue your dream of being an actor, ask yourself:  

Have I ever done any acting, even as an amateur in little theater?  Have I ever taken any acting lessons?  Do I have a resume? Do I know anyone in the industry? Do I have an agent who will sign me on and represent me and help me get acting jobs - do I even KNOW an agent? Am I going to be able to handle the rejection  (that every actor gets) when I go to an audition and give it my all, but I'm told by the producers that my performance stank? 

If it's your dream to be an actor; then I say go ahead and give it a shot. Who knows? -- you might get lucky and be successful. But also keep it in mind that it all might come to nothing, and that you'll never get a job as a professional actor. 

I think to be able to develop a good career then this should be done at a younger age. I watched Will Smith act in his younger years, and older years. There are probably other people who I watched act when they were younger as they were growing up.

Regarding myself when I was very young I wanted to be an astronomer then as I grew older I started to like computers. I was still a minor when I started to like computers. I decided to learn, and work with computers, and now I still learn more about computers, and I enjoy working with computers.

I watched my uncle on television. My uncle chose to be an actor in his older years. It's been a long time since I watched him act, so I am just giving you heads up. You might be able to do some acting, but this doesn't mean you will be able to develop a career as an actor.

Lastly I am older than you.

You're 29 years old.  Most people who are 29 turn 30 next year.  That's not a surprise.

You don't need parental permission when you are an adult.  

Here's my question - how do you plan to become an actor?  Hang around movie sets?  Do you have an agent?  Do you have head shots?  Did you attend an actors' training school?  What is your experience, your training?

This sounds like the plan of a 13-year old.

• .

Is your family White, Arab or Asian? 

Because you are 30 and you should be able to live your life the way you want to. It is wrong for your parents to be so unsupportive, especially as you gave up your life to help them. 

My advice is say you are going away on holiday for a couple months. 

Sorry, you haven't even touched the surface concerning your investigation.  You said you have enough funds for two years.  Did you know that California's cost of living is higher than you're used to? You said that you have enough money to last two years.  Does this include hiring a manager or going to acting school?  Did your research include the cost of food, utilities, rental insurance and rent?  How are you going to get around  Los Angeles?  The chances are slim to none if you don't at least have a manager to help you.  I suggest staying at home and try to get parts in plays close to home.  You're twenty-nine years old.  Act like it and move out.  Why would you leave a good paying job over pursuing something that probably won't happen?

Consider seeking acting lessons and participating in acting opportunities on a local level.  Local community theater typically exists and is far less competitive.  That way you can prove to yourself and your family you have the talent to take it to the next level.  Besides, no landlord is going to rent to you unless you have a proven source of income no matter where you live.

I don't know where you live but many places have community theaters where people with an interest in action and the theatre can go and take part. It might give you a feel for it and see if you are really cut out for that type of career.