is so called 'white flight' really happening in britain?

i'm not ethnically british, i am of spanish decent from spain but i was born here......there are many people who talk of 'white flight' happening now, meaning that there are many white british people leaving in their droves for other shores....and i wonder if that is really true?

if its true where are white british people going? and leaving to?....some of the places i heard were australia, canada and eastern europe.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

"White flight" doesn't mean leaving the country. It generally means leaving specific cities or neighborhoods to go to other nearby places. I.e. Both Chicago and Detroit have wealthy suburbs created by white people leaving the inner city neighborhood (and taking their tax base with them). 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • C
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, it's not.  I suppose there's the Costa del Sol and the Dordogne, and if you want a real, non-flippant answer research into Brits retiring abroad show that they come back in frail old age because they lack the family support network abroad.  They heyday of pasty-faced Brits properly emigrating as young people to commonwealth countries was in the 1960s.  It's much harder to do now.  There's not nearly as much emigration as you think mostly because Brits are really rubbish at foreign languages, we're even rubbish at our own lesser spoken native tongues!

Britain is better than you think at pulling people in.  Just today I was enjoying Ian Armitage (the poet laureate, you he of the fine translation of "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" into modern English) chatting with the beatboxer "Testament" about a shared love for Yorkshire, William Blake, church-going and so much more, and the great pride this hip hop artist takes in his children developing broad West Yorkshire accents.  This is what assimilation looks and sounds like and I am not story.  The best of the British traditions will always be picked up by loving hands.  (You're also being ridiculous to exclude yourself.)  It's a lovely, wandering conversation as is the whole series.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p086vxn5

But no, the traditional look of the English you have in mind is not going to go extinct during this turning of the great wheel of time.  If you're honest with yourself, which would bother you more if something cataclysmic happened which rendered Brits and only Brits infertile?  Would it be the entire population replaced by Czechs who kept not a shred of the preceding culture, not the language, not the names, not a single institution, not the buildings, not even regular boring housing estates and definitely not Westminster, not the libraries, not a single recipe unique to these isles, not the breeds of farm animals and not the crops or would it be the whole population of Nigeria relocating here on the condition that each ethnic group adopt a region of the UK wholesale taking on all its aspects, good and bad all the way down to making Cornish heavy cake, butter pies and stotties with peas pudding and wassailing the apple trees, scaring their children away from ponds and canals with tales of Jenny Greenteeth, and in all ways treating the fading British as their ancestors.  It's just a thought exercise but it's a telling one and might clarify some feelings for you.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.