Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Is it safe to go to the hair dresser? I live in upstate, NY and we are in phase II..?

My salon is still closed so I am going to another one that is open. I asked them about their safety precautions and they said their stylists wear masks, face shields, sanitize and take temperatures and there is only one entrance and one exit..do you think it's safe?

I think NY rules are similar to those we have here in CA right now. That is if you're going out to protest there are no rules on masking or social distancing but if you need to shop or indulge in grooming just don't. 

• Scotland264 weeks agoReport

Plus the salon I am speaking of is asking everyone to wear a mask, patrons, stylists, everyone. Also if the stylists are wearing masks, and face shields this would greatly help in slowing down the contamination. This is why so many first responders are actually OK. 

• Edna

It's probably safer than trying to cross the street, even when the light says "walk".

• Scotland264 weeks agoReport

Linkus, do you think this also simply has to do with more testing? With more people getting tested and going back to work, obviously this will demonstrate an uptick

thats up to you, im not afraid to go places

Me? Nope,  I would not step foot in a salon under any circumstances at this time. I just cannot see how a salon can keep all surfaces sanitized at all times between all customers, always. I suppose I am not vain enough to take the risk at this time.

I am sitting back to first see if opening businesses will increase the number of Covid cases and by how much before I feel comfortable taking risks.

I am determined not to leave my children without a parent and my siblings and friends without me, any sooner than I have to.

• Scotland264 weeks agoReport

This is the here and now. Most people have already waited 4-6 months if not longer to do every day normal activities. My point is they're not going to wait much longer. It's not a realistic expectation to impose. That doesn't mean we don't have to be careful though

Maybe.  But it is not just a matter of the safety precautions of the hairstylists, but the other patrons too.  If they aren't choosing to wear masks and social distance the level of safety decreases.

• Common Sense

Linkus86..no need to have pity for this one person. People all over the globe are not taking the proper precautions, hence the high death rate. If you actually believe some people in your town do not make a small effort to protect each other, you are delusional. Those types are everywhere.

• A.J.

It's safer not to go, but they do what they can. There is a lot misunderstood about Covid-19. First, you may have already caught it and recovered. More than half the cases are with few to no symptoms. Second, because it is highly contagious and not going away, unless staying locked up and away from all people, the odds of getting it are high, and just a matter of when. For most people it is not a "big deal", but for some with compromised immune systems or pre-existing conditions, it can be very serious. Third, we take risks in living. We are in cars that have accidents or as pedestrians get hit. Many accidents occur. We get diseases. Most people eat poorly. Many are overweight and don't exercise enough. And eventually, we all die from one thing or another.

The risk is far lower than without the protective measures. Each person must make a choice. There are many people that are underestimating this pandemic and many who are overly worried. If you listen to information you hear we do all this to slow it down and can't stop it. Medical facilities are much more ready and we learned enough to have treatments that actually work. "Safe" is a wrong answer, and "dangerous" is also a wrong answer. 

Per comments-

Add, yes, many seemingly healthy individuals have undiagnosed conditions. Some have weak immune systems. It will be a long time before a good vaccine is available. We have to balance and consider what we know about our condition of health.  

• Scotland264 weeks agoReport

Then there are some WWII veterans that have recovered from this! At some point in time, we will have to resume life in some sort of normal manner. I don't think most people will go a year without a haircut? 

Hair salons are considered minimal bodily contact establishments, and that's why they are permitted to be open under Phase II.  I waited months to get a haircut, but just had one because the salon used all recommended precautions.  You should be fine.