Bobby Mcelroy asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Is my mini dachshund losing 3 lbs a cause for concern?

My mini dachshund was overweight and decided to cut back on the amount of treats and food per day. She lost 3 lbs in a year (down to 15 lbs). She’s highly active for being 12. However, the vet expressed great concern and ordered a blood test. Is this as concerning as they are stating. They did not find any tumors or abnormalities.

I have no idea why your vet is that concerned - that amount of weight loss, planned and over a year, shouldn't have had him running to loads of testing I'd have thought.   If that loss wasn't down to what you've been doing (well done) then yes.   Otherwise I don't understand.  Did you ask before agreeing?   This smacks of anything to produce INCOME although maybe this was part of a wellness check given her age now.  But did you tell your vet this weight loss was planned?   Unexplained weight loss could suggest cancer.

I'd have been more concerned, as you obviously must have been, about an ageing Dachsie carrying too much weight, given they can have spinal problems.

• keerok

No abnormalities so it's okay. The dog is more active than ever, right? She's enjoying life to the fullest.

If YOU put the dog on a DIET by cutting back on food/treats (due to thinking -rightly) she was overweight, and it could lead to HEALTH problems ---> did you bother to TELL THE VET this fact?  There was NO reason IMO to run tests - if you were to tell the vet you INTENTIONALLY did this in order FOR the dog to loose some excess weight.  

However, of course he would be concerned, if there was NO KNOWN reason for the weight loss, which is substantial (percentage-wise) for such a small dog.  He cannot READ your mind, so if you did not volunteer the important information, its your lo$$.

You cutting back on what she eats is why she lost 3 lbs.  I do not see a concern cause you put her on a diet.  You succeeded in her losing some weight.  Congratulations you got what you wanted.

Keep in mind that a 3 pound loss in a small dog is like a 30 pound loss in a human.  Either you were giving it way too much food and/or way too many treats.

3 pounds for a dog her size is the equivelent of you or I loosing 30 pounds.   If she lost this weight without any changes in activity or diet, Id be concerned.    Did you inform the vet that you had cut back on treats and portion sizes?