Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

What was the speech in History that most impressed you?

Elizabeth I when the Spanish Armada was on its way... 'I know I have the body of a weak, feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too, and think foul scorn that Parma or Spain, or any prince of Europe, should dare to invade the borders of my realm; to which rather than any dishonour shall grow by me, I myself will take up arms, I myself will be your general, judge, and rewarder of every one of your virtues in the field'. 

• Andrew1 month agoReport

This is disputed, no one seems to know for sure, but either way, it's still one of the greatest speeches in history.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that who so ever believes on Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.  The Word of God changed my life.

• Fred

Gettysburg address.

Never in the world of human conflict has so many owed so much to so few

Winston Churchill

Hitler said we will wring Britain'sneck like a chicken and Winston said Some chicken some neck

Churchills Battle of Britain speech, where he said. "Never in the field of human conflict, was so much owed by so many to so few".  

Demosthenes’ Philippics

• Ludwig

Greta Thunberg's speech at the United Nations Climate Action Summit.

"I shouldn't be up here. I should be back in school on the other side of the ocean. Yet, you all come to us young people for hope. How dare you!"

Raegan's speech at the Berlin Wall.

Along with Elizabeth I at Tilbury regards the Spanish Armada, already mentioned; then it has to be:

"I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our Island home, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone. At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Majesty’s Government-every man of them. That is the will of Parliament and the nation. The British Empire and the French Republic, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their native soil, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength. Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God’s good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."

~ Winston Churchill, House of Commons, 4th June 1940.

"Despite the constant negative press covfefe"

DJT

• xyzzy

The St. Crispin's Day Speech (Henry V Act IV Scene iii 18–67): "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers".