Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

How can I control my anger?

I just started learning to cook and I keep making mistakes. The food sucks and I have to eat it since I'm not made of money.

thats a terrific way to stop making mistakes: eating your mistakes.

• IvaB

Anger will solve nothing.Mistakes happen to everyone,even the most "seasoned" (lol) cooks.Get over it,move on and keep working it.

• Fun facts: Echinococcosis is a cute jungle worm, look it up.

You're overreacting to a minor problem. It's just food. If you're making a lot of mistakes, you need a more basic cookbook--or more knowledge about basics.  The best way to control your anger is by learning. And by keeping things in perspective. EVERYONE, even famous chefs, makes mistakes when cooking. It's not really something you can avoid doing. So why let yourself go over the top and become angry? Laugh about it, eat your bad food, and move onto the next recipe. 

SEARCH YOUTUBE HOW CAN CONTROL ANGER

Having a dish not turn out is not a reason for anger, it's a learning opportunity. Recount all the steps and ingredients you used, and compare them to a standard recipe on the internet. See what you did different and learn not to do that again. I'm an experienced amateur cook. When I set out to make something, I go to a search engine and type "Recipe: [the dish I want to make]". I read several recipes, giving special attention to Food Network, All Recipes and Bon Appetite. Reading those, I know the essential, primary ingredients.Then I try to figure out what the different ingredients do to the taste of the dish, and add any that sound like they would improve the dish to my "recipe".  Of course cooking temperature, time and method (fry, bake, broil, saute, braise and such) are really important and should be followed if they are consistent with your data base of representative recipes.  This takes about another 10 minutes, and at least doubles the chances of a successful outcome. As part of your education, it's good to learn how spices influence a dish, how adding them changes he character, but  that will come in it's own time. Good luck, and welcome to the band of the culinary cuious.

• kswck2

You know what? Physics is an Exact science. Cooking is not. Cooking is Experimentation. 

ALL good chef's Taste as they go. A bit of this, a bit of that. You are SUPPOSED to make mistakes. That is what cooking is all about. 

You want a Dash of this in your dish? And the top falls off and you get the whole thing? It happens. 

Just keep going. Learn from your mistakes. 

• Well I wouldn't say that publically, this is some, ughhh...

Choose not to suck. One way of doing that is learning from your mistakes. Also thinking ahead; "ok, if I leave this chicken wing in the middle of a 5ft high flame on the bbq for 3 hours like I think I heard/read, what will likely happen? Burn to death, that can't be right...oh, ok they were using a low heat smoker, not a BBQ. That's why it was cooking for 3 hours!"

Also, don't try to be fancy. I always see people who never made a sandwich trying to make a fancy sauce or otherwise their kitchens fill up with foie gras, truffles, salt blocks, and more. Learn basics first. You can put lipstick on a pig but it has a better effect than truffles on a burnt out $30 duck breast.

Another issue I see with newbs is they are afraid of flavor. They still think everything has to be no salt, low fat, etc. Why did your XYZ suck? You used 1tsp of salt when the box of the store made version clearly states they used 12tsp.

And one cautionary tale from a true story I witnessed, don't make chili with ground beef that's been frozen for 5 years. It's not going to taste good. 

• Random facts: According to Trump: 'Laziness is a trait in blacks'

Start by searching sites that have recipe. All Recipes, Taste of home and some of the bloggers. 

Look at the ingredients first. 

If it contains items you do not like, can not afford or can not easily find don't try them

Look at reviews.  If a lot of people had problems, don't try it.   If a lot of people had to adjust the recipe, don't try it now, wait until you have learned more and know how to fix a potential problem. 

READ the recipe.  Then read it again. 

Get your ingredients ready and measure them out BEFORE you start. You don't want to be part way though a recipe or step in a recipe and fid out you are missing 1/2 Cup of lemon juice or other ingredient. 

Take the recipes you have tried and figure out why you did not like it and is it the "fault" of the recipe or the cook? 

Don't give up  All people that cook and bake did not start out knowing what they know.  A "Master Chef" is not born a Master Chef. It is years of learning and years of mistakes. 

• Anton

Every Master started by making mistakes.   You become a Master by not making the same mistake again.  You need to make a LOT of mistakes to become a Master. 

Cooks have to eat their mistakes, which is better than being a doctor...  they bury their mistakes.

I don't know, ask for a therapist.