Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Why does English sound arrogantly sometimes?

Especially Brittish English 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

arrogant?

pretentious?

Engglish??

Are you asking about the accent or the choice of words?

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

You mean it sounds arrogant.  I would never say British English sounds arrogant.  It just sounds different.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

An accent associated with the upper classes in any language may sound arrogant, but only because of the association, not because a speaker with that accent actually IS arrogant. He or she may be but not necessarily.

British English comprises many accents, not merely Received Pronunciation, which is most often associated with the affluent and educated.

• Aggy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

When I was at school in England more than 50 years ago I was discussing with my teacher which subjects I wanted to study at A level. I said I wanted to do french. He looked aghast and said "Whatever for? Once you have learnt to read a menu the rest of French is pointless".

As I have got older the wisdom of those words has become ever more apparent. (See P.K. Duck's answer to this question). 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

People may behave arrogantly, but we can't say that a language 'sounds' arrogantly. We say that "it sounds arrogant".

However, it's not the language that sounds 'arrogant'. It's some of its speakers. There are arrogant people in every country of the world, and they sound arrogant whatever language they speak - it's not some special feature of English.

• 1 month ago

Because it's the language that half the world speaks, and the other half needs to learn.

I suggest you learn to speak English, and not make a dog's breakfast of it, as you have here.

Arrogant enough for you ?

• Mike G
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Why do you use an adverb incorrectly?

• Ludwig
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I do it to annoy people.  

• Philip K. Duck
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Well, you certainly annoy me, you racist bigot.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.