lee asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 month ago

When do you find out gender of your child in the uk? ?

So when I watch American women getting ultra sound scans on YouTube or watch gender reveals  from American women they’ll usually mention that they’re 12-14 weeks pregnant but I’m looking at uk nhs website and its saying you usually find out the gender at 18-21 weeks. Any British mothers or fathers on here able to tell me when they found out the gender? Was it on the first scan you have or the second scan? 

The first scan is at 8-14 weeks which is too early to tell except for at the end of the date range and even then it's often a good guess.  Google the development of the genital nub.  Just because it looks like a willy doesn't mean that the eventual baby will end up with one. The second scan is at 18 - 21 weeks where the parents will be told the sex if they ask.  My info may be out of date but I believe sex testing isn't permitted before 16 weeks unless there's a very strong medical reason in order to protect women from certain ethnic groups being pressured into ending an unwanted female pregnancy by the extended family. 

when my daughter was pregnant here in Scotland they did not tell you the gender unless you went for a private scan at around 20 weeks -  in UK they will not do a gender scan before 16 weeks pregnant.

Gender reveal is stupid. It's a waste of time (and money)

• lee1 month agoReport

I know I’m not having a gender reveal. I’m just curious as to when pregnant women find out the gender in the uk cause in America form what I’ve seen from videos of scans and gender reveals they find out at 12-14 weeks.