Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

Can I just use regular scoopable kitty litter to clean up an oil spill, or does it have to be clay based?

Use it or saw dust if you don't have any "floor dry".

• Nick4 weeks agoReport

I have floor dry. Its about to tain though. Will it still to the job in the rain? Does it matter if the rain mixes?

• M.

Regular scoopable kitty litter IS clay based.  I've used it for decades to clean up oil.

I usually pretreat with mineral spirits or lacquer thinner scrubbed with a parts cleaning brush to thin the oil or grease and help lift it from the pavement, then dump the cat litter on it. 

I have removed years of nasty buildup with this process.  Sometimes it takes more than one scrub, but solvable oil can be removed.

-General automotive mechanic since 1972

• Erik

It doesn't really matter, I bought a ten pound bag at the market for less than three dollars, and it soaked up all the oil on the floor of my parking space.

I use a cloth rag to get the majority of it out of the way and that goes into the garbage outside. Then kitty litter and don't care which one and it is spread over the oil stain and left for a day or 2.

Actually, the original kitty litter was a way to sell a product originally designed for absorbing oil spills. Before that, sawdust was common for both purposes.

Clay stuff is a lot cheaper but either one works. 

You could try, or use saw dust in a pinch, but the clay based is best.  It's the same stuff as branded oil-spill kits.