luke asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

why does meat with less marbling take so long to cook?

cooking steaks I have learnt the hard way that a less well marbled steak is not only more unpleasant to eat but also that if you don't fry it for 20 mins it will be freezing cold and raw in the middle, a well marbled steak on the other hand can be medium well with less than 10 mins of cooking, why?

• Fat renders under a high temperature so the more fat, the faster it will cook

• Alpha

Because a less marbled cut of steak has more muscle mass which is more dense than fat. The more mass, the more heat it takes to cook it.

• kswck2

I suggest you speak with a Real butcher, since it is obvious that you haven't a Clue how to cook ANY kind of meat. 

Indeed I am willing to bet that you try to grill a Corned Beef. 

How the hell are you cooking steak?

I can only imagine you mean other cuts of beef. Yes, some cuts such as brisket have alot of connective tissue that needs to be melted away in a low-and-slow method. Usually in an oven or smoker for up to 24 hours at temps from 300f to 175f depending on exactly what cut it is and what you want out of it. Any decent steak like a chuck steak (as opposed to chuck roast) NY strip, T-bone, etc marbled or not only takes maybe 3 mins on each side for the thickest cuts to be well done.

I can only think of 2 other fundamental issues you're having, you're starting from a frozen solid steak and you think it has to be cooked all the way through. At this point, I'm not trying to be a dick about it but whatever you think should be done, do the exact opposite.

that marbling is fat--fat cooks faster than muscle.