Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 month ago

I became a citizenship last year, do I need my certificate to travel?

I’m traveling to another country next month and it’s my first time traveling as a citizenship, I have my passport but if I take my citizenship certificate will they say anything? I’m taking it as proof just in case they ask. Have you guys traveled with your certificate and passport before? 

No, your passport is actually proof of citizenship so, you should be good. 

Your passport is proof of citizenship; you don't need to carry your certificate too.

No, you only need a passport from the country where you are now a citizen.

Your passport takes the place of your certificate. But you can always stick that certificate in your safe as a memento. 

• Lisa A

Only a passport (and a visa if necessary) are accepted for international travel.

If you are asking about a USA certificate of Citizenship then no,  You do NOT take it with you when traveling and instead put it somewhere safe. 

If you have a valid US passport, that is all you will need to reenter the US.

But if you are travelling to the country of your previous citizenship, you might want to bring it.

My ex-wife was Vietnamese and I from USA.  When we wanted to visit Vietnam, they went through a whole procedure to make it so that she would be treated as a US citizen, with a visa in her US passport.  Otherwise, she would have been treated as a Vietnamese Citizen and would have had to apply for permission to leave the country and return to the US.