Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

Do remember growing up in the 1950s?

• Fred

And?

My greatest wish was that I could have been born earlier and noted the change of family and social pattern with the introduction of the TV in the family room.

But that is nonsense. I saw the change! It was welcomed, we all saw the change of family dynamics.  It wasn't the first and will not be the last change affecting families.  We now see the home computer and cell phones, fascination with sports in ever greater degree.   

Tomorrow never has matched today, never has, never will.  We live in a changing world! 

• F

No but I know what it was like because my parents still live there .

No.  I was only born in 1959, so, my earliest memory is about some time in 1960.

Yes very well indeed .

• Nick

I was born in the 80s but I'm sure had a previous life in the 50s because I've always been drawn to the cars, music and architecture of the era. I remember cruising the strip in my Oldsmobile, drag racing on the sand, drinking egg creams and root beer floats, watching horror B movies at the drive-in, and saving every nickel for the jukebox

• Elaine

I don't remember everything but I do remember quite a bit.  Two popular TV programmes were "Leave it to Beaver" and "Father Knows Best"  The Ed Sullivan show aired on Sunday nights and when Elvis Presley performed the cameras only showed him from the waist up.  Some films such as "Blackboard Jungle" presented another side of society.  Then there were some socially controversial, at the time, films such as "The Man with the Golden Arm", "A Summer Place".  

It was a different time and the young generation began questioning the values and norms of the previous generations.  

No. Because I was born in the 1980's.

No, but that's mostly because I grew up in the 1980s.