Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

What's the normal amount of dogs in a family? ?

I think a couple is fine but my friend has five and said most people have more then that at once what do you think?

If you could afford i suggest two, one will be lonely when you go to work. Two dogs will be fine. they could play with each other.

PS: If you need the pet seat covers check out cupets.

• Ocimom

IMO one or two works out best.

In my opinion, its how many you can afford and give enough attention to. It also depends on if they are pets or working dogs. My family has two, we had one but thought two would be better for when no one is home so they don't get as bored. I know a cattle rancher who has like 25 or so. He uses them for work and has that many so he can switch them out to not overwork them. His dogs are definitely treated differently than our pets but they seem happy and well taken care of.

• "What's the normal amount of dogs in a family?"

Sorry, cowardly [Anonymous] - there is no such number.

You didn't even specify WHAT the dogs would be for.

When I had just-pets, I had ONE.

When I got involved in training and my wife got involved in showing, we had up to 8 adult GSDs at a time.

🔸 In the 975 to 998 miles Iditarod Dog Sled Race, each team must start with 16 dogs and finish with at least six. To have 16 ready to race, each competitor probably has between 20 and 30 on their property.

🔹 I was unable to find any typical number of Greyhounds in a racing kennel.

🔸 On a small sheep farm, the typical number of dogs is 2 - usually Border Collies, although my first GSD finished up as a sheep drover along SH.1.

🔹 On giant sheep stations each shepherd (read "A River Rules My Life", in which the station cook is my great-uncle, after he became too old to continue shepherding in the mountain valleys) is likely to have several dogs - in my country they tend to be Border Collies to lead the sheep, and Huntaways to drive the sheep out of hiding places and back to the flock.

🔸 I wasn't able to find any data on the typical size of a pack of Foxhounds, but from old illustrations suspect it might have been about 20.

• "I think a couple is fine but my friend has five and said most people have more then that at once what do you think?"

Not many people have the dedication and TIME to train and exercise more than one pet dog each (yes - there are a HELLUVALOT of untrained pooches around! Many of them neurotic as a result).

I am not keen on teenagers having a puppy - they are too likely to neglect their dog when they discover that boys & girls have attractive differences🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️, then leave home to go to university👩🏼‍🎓 or a polytechnic institute👨🏼‍🔧.

So for a pet-only household, there could be 1 pooch per interested adult human, and maybe one for a keen child to start getting coached about when he/she  is 7-to-9 (especially in a 1-child household).

In other words: 1-to-3 dogs per household.

King Les The Lofty - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968. The pic was circa 1969-70

• keerok

There are 5 in my household, 3 are my mom's, 2 for my son. Among the 5, 4 stay outdoors full time while 1, a Shih Tzu, gets to rule us all.

If these are people who breed, rescue/foster or are into dog shows or dog sports..  Then 5 is a low number.   A friend of mine who breeds and shows has anywhere from 12-15 at her home at any given time..  Not even counting the ones that are with handlers, or the co-owns that are with their co-owners.

For people who just keep pets, most only have 1-3 dogs

I think that everyone's "normal" is different, because each and everyone's family is different.  Some people can own 5 dogs and be able to take care of them all properly in every way, and other people can't even take care of one dog properly.  Many Cities also have laws on how many pets they are allowed to have, and others have no limits.  So, what do I think is normal?  I can't say, because I don't want to judge people, especially without knowing any given situation.

I think your friend doesn't know what he's talking about.

1 or 2 .............