Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Legal implications of someone building on my land ?

I have a piece of land that my neighbor started doing construction and excavating on that area. What are legal considerations I should think of? How would I solve this issue. He won’t listen so I have to go to court 

So long as you can show he is on your land, you win.

Have the land surveyed to make sure it's yours and then start by getting a lawyer. 

It is probably not your land to start with. Quit asking the same question different ways just because you don't like the answer. Yeah, you would have to go to court and PROVE that is in fact YOUR land and not his own.

Legal implications - only a licensed lawyer can give you that legal advice.  What you need to decide is whether you want the land returned to what it was or whether you would prefer that he just stop and leave it as is.  That decision will determine your damages.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.

Legal implications are a lot. One is that if one of the workers gets hurt on your property, it's your property, you are on the hook for it.

Get lawyer. Get survey.

The legal implications is that he's trying to clean your land by adverse possession call the sheriff's department and have him served with criminal trespass. Do this immediately call the sheriff show them that the land is yours and claim that your neighbor is criminal trespassing. 

You need to get the building stopped asap even before you go to court to get restitution for what he's already done.  I don't know where in the world you're located but wherever you are the first point of contact is whichever body issues planning permits to build.  They will know what to do next.  They may even send someone out to halt work.  They would do in my jurisdiction.  If you do nothing most places will eventually pass the land onto the person who claimed it if it goes uncontested.  This can take decades so you have time but you want to stop this now.  

• TB12

Does he have permits,, if not you can have his project shut down while it goes to court,,, and you're most likely going to have to take this to court.

If you can prove the land is yours (deed and a survey)  have him charged with trespass and sue him for the cost of restoring the land.