Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Should I be ashamed of my uncle?

He's a 40 yr old man, still lives with my grandmother and acts like a teenager. He loves shows like "Hannah Montannah" and "Austin and Ally". Everything from his childhood he has an obsession over and he  seriously wastes my grandmother's money by overindulging. He buys himself enormous fast food meals and will go in stores to buy all the books,dvds, cds, any media that they have, and he tries to resell them. It hasn't been making him any money and now my grandmother's house is a mess because of it. He watches children's shows constantly, even during church. He once went on a rant about how female characters need to be more domesticated and there needs to be more dominant fathers in sit-coms. As a female, this was an awkward moment for me. He doesn't take care of himself or his surroundings. No one in my family likes him, but of course, we don't tell him that. My friends want to meet my extended family, but I'm scared he'll try to give them a bunch of old dvds or something. Yes, he's actually done that with people he's just met. Should I feel this way? 

Chances are great this person is cognitively impaired and of course it's pretty petty to resent the disabled. 

the guy must have some mental illness issues, or his mother created the person he is today.  Sounds like a typical Mommy's Boy Loser (that is, if he's not got mental illness issues and in that case, he's just naturally messed up). 

If he's considered normal, he's probably fat, has diabetes, his mother turned him into an idiot and you have to realize HE is not the only person responsible for the way he is today.  Parents create their own monsters. 

If you don't want your friends to meet this guy, then don't introduce them to him. It's not like you live in the same house (or do you?)

It's okay because he is your uncle. People expect a weird uncle or auntie as long as it's not your parents who are weird your friends won't care, they will probably just have a good giggle with you about it when your roll your eyes when they mention him