NYS learner's permit restrictions?

im 17, i got my permit when i turned 16 (im not taking the road test for insurance purposes.... not yet anyways) and my parents said its legal for me to drive to work and school by myself... is that true?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You have a restricted "permit". That's the same thing as a Learner's License.  

You parents aren't correct. You can't drive alone (back and forth to school or work or anywhere else) with a restricted permit. You must be accompanied by a fully licensed adult who is sitting in the passenger seat beside you at any time you're operating a motor vehicle.  

If you are stopped by police for any reason and you're driving alone in violation of your restricted permit, your permit will probably be revoked or suspended. 

If you're involved in an accident and you're driving alone, your parents will be financially responsible for any damage you cause and they can be sued for everything they're worth, because they allowed you to drive alone on a restricted permit.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

No, it is 100% NOT true.  This is a very good way for your parents to be sued for everything they own.  By the way, the family residence is NOT exempt from judgment in NYS.

• May
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

No.  It is not true.  Find out for yourself by accessing the NY DMV website

• 5 months ago

they lied to you

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

You cannot drive by your own unless you have a license.

• 5 months ago

No matter what age you are, if you hold a learner permit, you may not drive unless accompanied by a supervising driver age 21 or older who has a valid license to operate the vehicle you are driving. For example, only a person with a motorcycle license may supervise a person learning to drive a motorcycle. 1

You may not drive with a learner permit

on any street within a park in New York City

on any bridge or tunnel under the jurisdiction of the Tri-borough Bridge and Tunnel Authority

on the Cross County, Hutchinson River, Saw Mill River, or Taconic State parkways in Westchester County

in a DMV road test area

-------

Clearly, your parents are idiots.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.