Black asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 5 months ago

Does it matter to you that statues of Christopher Columbus were torn down in several American cities?

If your answer is that he's part of American history, then why is he part of it? Columbus never stepped foot in any land that is now part of the USA. Why are there statues of him, when America was named after another explorer Amerigo Vespucci? I don't think Columbia has as many statues of Columbus as America does. Also, not even counting the fact that there were people living in this continent for tens of thousands of years previously: if you think because he was the first European to discover this continent, then the Vikings landed here 500 years before him, and they actually made it to lands that are now part of the USA.

Also he has a history of brutality, and slavery.

It may matter to me only from the POV of whose is tearing down the statues and their anger and vitriol. Otherwise, no. 

There’s a statue of Lenin in Washington still standing. 

• Tasm

I oppose it because I don't like people ******* with America, and the democrats are trying to dismantle America and what it stands for. 

No. I don't give a rat's petooty about Christopher Columbus.