Do you have to have a boating license to rent a drive a boat?

• Jay P

Yahoo is universal but boating laws differ wildly around the globe.  It would help to mention where you are or where you're asking about.

In Canada the answer is no. Rental operations have an exemption from the Pleasure Craft Operator Card requirement. A sailboat from my club was hit by an unlicensed rental powerboat operator a few years ago. No one got killed, but the sailboat was destroyed.  The really scary thing is there are scheduled floatplane flights taking off and landing near the boat rental operation. Yes, the float of a plane once went through the windshield of a boat while the people in the boat ducked like in an action movie. Therefore I hope the exemption ends. 

Not everywhere, it would be smart to take a boating safety course and get a certification card/credential.  I don't believe there is an actual license issued for personal pleasure boating.   

It depends on your location.  Don't you think that it would be a good decision to take the coarse anyway. The more you know about what you are doing the better your outcome will be.  Its a very simple test that can be done on line.

A boating license? 

What is it? 

I took a watercraft course by the US Coast Guard and got a certificate.

My insurance company gave me a good, low-cost policy because of it. 

You also need some experience under a trained, experienced person, in how to actually operate the boat.

If you were out in the water and had an emergency, who would you call for help?  How would you call them?

In my jurisdiction, and it is motorized, YES.  So ask where you are going to.

• F

Well I know you can hire cabin cruisers and narrow boats for holidays without a licence but presumably you do at some stage between that and super tanker.

Jurisdiction matters. Where I live, if you showed law enforcement anything you CLAIMED to be a boating license, you would be arrested for presenting false documents, because there is no such thing as a boating license.

It depends on size of vessel and location of the rented boat.  Small fishing boats on small lakes can be rented without a license.  If you carry passengers you need a license.

Yes you do.  Just like an automobile