Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 2 months ago

Is there really a difference between chicken eggs. some eggs sell for $1.69 per dozen some for $4.59 a dozen.?

Update:

What about A  and AA?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

YES the size depends on the age of the birds when young say 4-5 months you get small eggs as they grow they produce larger eggs to med to large to x-large this also applies to the breed of birds most white eggs come from leghorns which are on farms and mass production is in progress, brown come from many other breeds, then you also have the tan or blue or green or even slightly pinkish all different breeds..

The eggs in stores are mostly white and you pay for the production of factory eggs where the birds are cooped up feed and lay eggs that's iy. Other eggs come from free range type birds and are better since they get to scratch a bout getting bugs grass and have freedom of course no roo is present. The size and color depends on the birds what they consume and the envirment they are in.

• 2 months ago

If you've never had organic or farm fresh eggs you'd taste a big difference from the regular cheap grocery store eggs.

• 2 months ago

Its simple

You have a chance that you will get a chick from the cheap ones

• 2 months ago

Yes. The difference is $2.90.

In some places, you pay a premium for shell color. That's a waste of money. White, brown, blue, green, and pink eggs are all the same inside. A real difference is in the size of the egg. My leghorn eggs are half again the size of large eggs. Sometimes the differences in price are to pay for advertising, as by Eggland's Best. They do spend more on food and the color is brighter. Sometimes, you pay for the cost of care. Pastured hens get much of their food from eating plants and insects. The farmer is in danger of losing some to predators, hence the higher cost. 

If you put the egg in water, you can tell how fresh it is, which is the basis for grading (AA, A, B). A really fresh egg will lie flat. As the egg ages, the air sac expands and a less fresh egg (still good) will stand on end on the bottom. If the egg floats, I suggest tossing it. Personally, I wouldn't do the float test until I am ready to use the egg. I don't even clean the eggs I  get, other than flicking off the odd feather or piece of manure. Cleaning the eggs removes the protective bloom from the shell, so the egg ages faster. Really dirty ones can be washed in cold water just before use.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There are some differences in chicken eggs, USA to some other countries, and in the USDA grading, and how the chickens are raised and what they are fed. Price gives only a general indication.

In the USA, the outside of the eggs bought commercially has had a coating removed for external treatment of Salmonella contamination prevention. They should generally be kept refrigerated and not held for extended times. In the UK and other countries, they treat the chickens to reduce Salmonella in the eggs, and refrigeration is not necessary.

Some chickens are given more nutritious feed and others allowed full free pasture range without containment. There is a variation in how the chickens are raised.

Some eggs are very fresh, and others stored and transported. There is a difference from time laid to purchased.

Certainly there are size differences and jumbo eggs have more double-yolks included. 

The AA, A, B grades are of the shell. USDA Grade AA – The freshest and highest quality eggs will receive a Grade AA.

USDA Grade A – Very high quality eggs will receive a Grade A.

USDA Grade B – Grade B eggs are usually used for breaking stock (liquid eggs) and baking, depending on the number of defects.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/grades-standards/egg/grad...

All about eggs

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/f...

Standard eggs can have chickens kept in tiny cages.

Cage-free are laid by hens that are able to roam vertically and horizontally in indoor houses, and have access to fresh food and water. Free-range also has “continuous access to the outdoors during their laying cycle.” Pasture-raised, the birds must be placed on an actual pasture with living vegetation for six hours each day.

The eggs themselves may not be notably different, but some people also care about the chickens. 95% of eggs in the U.S. come from chickens raised in something called battery cages. As many as 100,000 birds can be confined in a single warehouse, each bird with less than 67 square inches, or about 8 inch by 8 inch space to live.

All-Natural / Farm Fresh / Hormone-Free = means nothing. ALL eggs are these.

Vegetarian-Fed = not better, because chickens, like humans, are omnivores. Do you care whether a chicken is a vegan chicken?

Each person makes their choices by what is important to them. 

• 2 months ago

They vary in size. They vary depending on what chickens are fed. They wary in the conditions the chickens are kept in.

• abdul
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Not really that much of a difference. Free range chickens lay eggs that have a brighter colored yolk than caged hens lay. I think the eggs of the free range taste better too. I buy eggs from 1 of my neighbors who has a backyard flock of free range cluckers.

• Dze
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

nutritionally .. very little .. there IS a difference between how fresh they are and the size though ..

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.