Chiara Ryan asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

Show Jumping or Barrel Racing?

Hello everyone, my name is Chiara but I'd prefer to be called Ryan. I've been practising horse riding for 2 years and I absolutely love it; first I show jumped, and now I'm starting to barrel race. I switched because I wanted to try a different discipline, since trying different things opens your mind and makes you more aware of what you want to do. And although I love show jumping, I just think barrel racing is more "in my style". So I wanted to ask a question to those who practised or are currently practising both of these disciplines: which do you prefer? And why? What emotions does it give to you?

I've done and enjoyed both events, but ultimately I found barrel racing did not hold my interest.  It's always the same pattern around the same barrels.  Almost always the same footing.  I got bored, bored, bored.

Jumping is always different.  The routes change, the jumps change, the venues change.  I can do hunter classes (judged on quality) or jumper classes (based on rails down and time).  Or I can hunt, or do hunter paces, or (my favorite) crosscountry.  

My horses love to jump, especially cross country.  Out in the open country, over natural grounds, and natural type fences, ditches, and water, the horses love it.  And so do I.

Bartel racing is my passion. I love the challenge, the thrill. Don't looove the look of show jumping, and the "look" of it. I prefer also gotten to know quite a few rude, snobby people on expensive $5000 show ponies that are pushing button ponies. In the barrest racing world, people cheer each other on, and have their best interest at heart. I prefer Barrel racing. 

Source(s): Barrel racer and former competitive show jumper
  • Amber

Same... I wouldn't put my horse through either of those. In fact I would n't for most of the showing events out there as they require bits that I don't use. So both give me negative emotions. 

I have no interest in either of those disciplines.    I don't want to put myself or my horse through any of that.   

The person who had my horse before me barrel raced her and it's why she developed a bad hock and then was sold like a used car.   She now has a forever home where her health, safety and comfort are looked after.  

I'm not saying no one should engage in competitive equestrian sport; I'm just saying it's how a lot of injuries happen and since I'm not a thrill-seeker, my horse and I are happy doing other things.