Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 2 months ago

Was Composer Ludwig Van Beethoven black?

I read somewhere that his mother was a Moor. I've read a lot about Beethoven and I've noticed historians tend to write about his father but not his mother. I often wondered why. However, what difference does it make? He still was one of the greatest composers ever. He's credited with ushering in the romantic period.

• 1 week ago

he was a guero

doodjvodjvijvij

Does it matter? A genius is a genius no matter what?

• Gregg

The information about him that I read about was that he was a homosexual, or suspected to be a homosexual.

I never thought he was but if someone knows better?

No he was not.  If there was even a suspicion that he was, the Nazis would have banned his music, but they did nothing of the kind.

Yes, because he worked part-time as a chimney sweep.

I'm curious, which note of his music does this information change?

This has been a OOOLLLLDDDD meme going around for ages - that his ancestry included some Haitian (or African, etc. blood.  This might have started in reference a talented violinist and composer in Haiti, who was called the "black Beethoven" - although he had zero connection to Ludwig. As a professional classical musician and teacher, I have had otherwise intelligent people - black and white - whisper in my ear "but you know he was really *black* . . .).  Then I would have to tell the story again, and send them out to find that Haitian violinist.  I will see if I can find this again . .Yeah, ten seconds with Google, and a whole lot of history of this lie was visible. 

• Kathy

He was not black.