My boss who fired me, sent a Facebook friend request 4 1/2 years later.  Are we no longer on bad terms, & can I use him as a job reference?

I worked at a law firm for seven years.  Technically, he didn’t fire me.  But HR called me into his office to “let me go,” which I assumed was the “dirty work” that he was assigned by the senior partner (whose name is first in the title of the firm).  About three years later, I ran into him at my current job — another law firm, which is coincidentally defending him in regards to a financial scandal that ensued at the previous firm.  We chatted for a minute, and he was pleasant to me as if I wasn’t fired and that all is well between us.  Now, that firm has dissolved, as he and the other partner had a very dramatic and unsolved dispute that led them to split the firm into two new locations under two new firm titles, according to the aftermath of the settled case in court.  

He eventually requested me on Facebook, and I accepted.  Based on the firm’s dissolution, does this mean that my bad evaluation(s) have been confiscated and/or shredded, and that the partner can’t say on record anything bad about me, in the event that a future recruiter contacts him?

For legal reasons, large companies generally reframe from giving personalized job references and only provide confirmation of employment.  As a practice you should only request job references from work associates you know and trust really well to represent you in a positive light.  You should NEVER use someone as a job reference without their EXPRESS consent and full confidence they have your best interest at heart!

Bob’s your uncle and good on you then, mate.

reported for the 26th time. STOP TROLL.

Even if the record is gone, it does not mean that he can't say on record anything bad.  But it also doesn't mean that he will.  Ask him what he would say.