Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 3 weeks ago

Why do my doctors keep saying I can't give my baby formula?

I have a three week old baby and breastfeeding is going okay but sometimes I would like to let my husband give a bottle at night so I could sleep. I have pumped some but it's difficult for me physically because of the position my pump requiers me to be in. My mother suggested before the baby was born that I give her formula from the first days so that she tolerates it better like she did but also mainly breastfeed. (Hybrid feeding.)

The doctors/ lactation specialists in the hospital and my pediatrician said not to give her any formula whatsoever because it will make me not produce enough breastmilk(so far I have demonstrated no signs of not producing enough milk...infact im producing quite a lot and am a little engorged.)

Has anyone done this hybrid feeeding and if so how did you magange it? Wht are my doctors so against it? thanks

• 6 days ago

Some doctors can be very pushy, ultimately it’s up to you. They claim you will stop producing because your body provides milk on a supply/demand basis. I gave my baby a bottle (breast milk and formula) since the very first day he was born and still breastfeed and he never once had nipple confusion. I also had a bit of an oversupply and my supply did not go down from bottle feeding sometimes. You’ll be okay momma. 

• Pippin

Nobody can tell you what you 'can't' do.

But if you want to continue breastfeeding, it's BEST to avoid bottles for the first 6-8 weeks.  Your body needs those night feeds as well as the daytime ones to establish your milk supply.

There are many ways your husband can help that don't risk your breastfeeding relationship.  (Realistically too, when baby wakes at night, you WILL wake up.  You're not going to be able to sleep through it while daddy goes to the kitchen to get a warm a bottle.  Easier and faster to just reach over and put baby to the breast.)

Introducing a bottle before age six weeks can cause nipple confusion which can lead to your child not wanting to nurse anymore.

After that, go for it.

• L

LISTEN to the doctors!  A breast fed baby does NOT need formula.  Just breast feed your newborn and your husband can help with other 'baby' chores.

• GB

I pumped some milk in the early days, because my daughter was pre-mature and I had to leave hospital without her. The electric pumps that the hospital had were good - but I found the hand pump I bought difficult to use. In the end, I just hand expressed into a sterile bottle. 

Breastfeeding works on supply and demand. The more you do it, the more milk you produce.

One going back and forth can upset baby's tummy and two once you start to feed formula you won't stop and then he/ she will feed less on the breasts and then you have a problem.  Get a different pump that allows you to pump more comfortably and use those to feed.

• edward

My wife and i did that for our baby.  But what do we know? we’re only nurses.  You’ll continue producing milk till you aren’t breast feeding anymore.  You don’t just stop.

Breastfeeding has better and healthier benefits than formula does. Maybe try buying a different kind of pump or try another method for feeding your baby?.