Tim asked in SportsTennis · 5 months ago

Thoughts on the news that Novak Djokovic has tested positive for the coronavirus?

It was accidental they were trying to run a good tournament but this news is shocking, thoughts?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Favourite answer

Nole was trying to send a message to the US Open, whose restrictive measures he doesn't agree on. And he failed – or did he?

I mean, Djokovic is the Player Council's President and did not attend the ATP meeting on Zoom when they discussed the future of the Tour (and of the players he should represent, including the ones who aren't rich and really need to play a Slam).

Not only didn't he want to go to New York but it looked like he (and other top players, as a matter of fact) tried to make the NY tournaments fail. Surely he didn't want this for his Adria Tour but it also places at risk the Western & Southern and the US Opens. “Not too bad?”

As for the “no measures” in Belgrade, I remind you that in April there were days with a 12-hour curfew and suddenly the Serbian government released the whole responsibility on its citizens just “strongly advising” the social distancing. The reason of that “olly olly oxen free” was to avoid the abstention in last Sunday's elections. And to be clear, when it comes to democracy, Serbia has become a “hybrid regime”.

Nole followed the Serbian (and Croatian) laws but can we say he doesn't bear a political and ethical responsibility? What about the message of “normality” he sent (tried to send, seeing the outcome) in the past days to all the tennis fans who are still coping with the Covid-19?

“Accidental” is when you care about safety and something out of your control goes wrong. What happened at the Adria Tour was announced.

• 1 month ago

Nothing so strange. it could be

• 3 months ago

it was blessing for him(them) . tested positive - two weeks - free man

• 4 months ago

No big deal; I am sick of this crap because he has it but you'd think he had the black plague and that everyone he comes in contact with will die. He'll be okay and then play again. I wish the critics would just get over it.

Let them play tennis with a crowd, damn it.

Cheers,

JC

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Shows just how contagious this virus is.  Which is why most if not all sports stopped. Tennis is played in front of crowds in closed stadiums. That is the same as a closed room. Hopefully they know more about it to lessen the infection.

• 5 months ago

Did you actually SEE how many people there were watching this event?   Absolutely no social distancing, face masks etc.   I hate to wish ill on anybody but what in the world was Novak thinking (or the other organisers).   Poetic justice comes to mind.

I hope anybody who has gone down with this, and ten to one there will be A LOT, recover and learn that Covid 19 is SERIOUS!!!

• He's an anti-vaxxer so he probably thinks this is some giant hoax (it's not).

• 5 months ago

It was an accident waiting to happen.

• 5 months ago

Why is it shocking?  You put thousands in an arena and it spreads.  It will be shocking if hundreds don't get it traced back to that tournament.

(It was accidental?  Of the millions of worldwide cases, how many were on purpose?)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.