Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesDodge · 1 month ago

Do old dodge rams have bad transmissions ?

I’m thinking of buying a 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4 2 door long bed. But i always hear Rams have bad transmissions. Is this true. The truck has 135,678 miles on it

Those old Dodge trucks had the 46re transmission that was known for having a lot of issues back in the day. I wouldn't buy it for daily driving but if you can get it for a cheap price and just need a beater truck for hauling stuff once in a while, I would buy it.

Just check the color of the ATF. If it's brown, black or dirty i'd take a pass.

• Your question might have some relevance if the vehicle was 5 years old, but 2 decades? Seriously you expect the transmission to still work perfectly?

The truck is 19 years old.  It will not be a surprise if the transmission and/or the engine needs work or worse, a replacement.  Get it test driven by someone who knows trucks, preferably a Dodge guy.