When you get Covid-19 is it true your down about 1 month (that's without hospital)?

I mean not counting the 14 day incubation period, so from when you get symptoms and are confirmed. 

At that point you have 14 days to go very sick, true? Then after that as you get better you have another 14 days isolation, true? 

So, that's 28 days bedroom confined sick or recovering, and that's if you don't get blood clots or respiratory failure (in which case a 7 day hospital stay and 7 day recovery from that must be added at least making 42 days out of your life total). Is my understanding accurate?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

It varies depending on your age and health conditions as well as the size of the "load" of the virus you first get...

If you get a low load, that is a smaller dose of the virus cells then your body has a better chance of fighting them off before they really get entrenched.

If you get a heavy load then they can overwhelm your immune system and it can take a much longer time for your immune system to get control of the infection and eventually defeat it.

If you have a compromised immune system to begin with then any degree of infection can be deadly because the immune system can never get ahead of the infection.

• Edna
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your understanding is not correct. 

What is true is that, in almost all cases of corona virus, hospitalization is not necessary. It's usually a relatively mild illness, and a  person recovers at home in about 14 days. The virus usually clears itself from your system In about 14 days from onset of the first symptoms, whether you see a doctor or whether you don't.  

Even after someone is diagnosed with an active case of coronavirus, he has to self-quarantine himself for only about 14 days after diagnosis. 

• 1 month ago

No its two weeks. After that you're either cured or dead.

• 1 month ago

If it is only a mild infection then 14 days isolation but a lot of people are taking to hospital within a few days of diagnosis because they need a ventilator or oxygen and some do survive or some die but most are in hospital for several months then few months recovery - daughter is a nurse

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No most people barely get sick

• 1 month ago

I don't think the experts are even discussing the duration of coronavirus infection. The data varies so widely that there's no such thing as an "average." For example, just days ago, I saw a PBS report about the increasing number of baffling Covid19 cases. It seems some patients are staying symptomatic & sick for weeks; 60 days or more. And they continue to test positive too, so it's not a secondary infection. Obviously, that's rare, but it just show how mercurial this virus is and how little we know about it.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

My friend here in the U.K. was ill for over 6 weeks. She never went to hospital

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.