Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 1 month ago

My school recommended to my parents that I be placed in Special Education. Can they refuse?

I am 14 and have autism, I take the right treatment, I don't think I need it because I get mostly B's and C's.

7 Answers

  • 4 weeks ago

    Oh please dont. Some teachers there think they get a freebie and you wont learn anything. Worst thing you can do. I used to be a special ed teacher's aide. Many of those kids were intelligent, but only bad in one subject. Don't do this to yourself.

    The learning moral is very low, also cause of teachers. And your grades will fall. Good Luck for the future. I saw that many students don't use the free tutoring available. It helps a lot, even if its not cool. Many students think they just need tutoring when they don't understand something. I would go regularly, it helps in general, just to go over the material again.

  • 1 month ago

    It's my understanding that a student who has been "classified" (by the Child Study Team) as having some type of disability, which may include autism, for instance, may be mainstreamed in "regular" or non-special education classes, especially if the student does *not* cause a noticeable disruption in class.

    If one has been "classified" (by the cst) and has an IEP (individualized education program), for instance, I believe that he or she may still be eligible for non-special ed classes, but the slower pace of the "special needs" classes and/or less rigorous coursework may be less overwhelming to the student.

    Perhaps you and/or your parents can ask the cst or whomever recommended special education classes why they did.

    The other respondent mentioned possibly getting classroom accommodations, such as if getting placed in a non-special ed class.  For instance, getting longer time on tests and/or a separate room for exams (though, usually with a test proctor) may be permitted.

  • drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Your grades are not the only determining factor for suggesting Special  Education.  You and your parents need to understand why the school is recommending the program for you and what the program can do for you before turning it down 

  • 1 month ago

    In the United States, usually the parents can refuse.  Rarely will the school take the parents to court and get a court order to force it.

    You can get special ed support services in the regular classroom.

    If you don't already have one, a 504 plan may help.  That will give you things like extra time of tests if needed, allow you to take breaks and move around if your need to, etc.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    If you think you don't need it, then ask your parents to refuse their recommendation. The school can't enroll you in any program without asking your parents first.  

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    What reason did they give? what do your teachers think? yes they can refuse.

  • 1 month ago

    Then don't.

    Yes, you do have the right to refuse.

    But... just keep in mind special education courses are specifically designed for you to learn at your own comfort.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.