Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionSoap Operas · 1 month ago

Is it true general hospital is losing a lot of money due to the pandemic and may go off the air in 2 months?

• Jim
    1 week ago

Probably. This would be a good time to cancel the show once and for all.

1. Is it true they are losing money? Yes and no, all at the same time. Yes in the sense that there are no ratings, hence no profit being made. On the other hand, there is no money being spent on building sets/paying staff/equipment etc, so there's no money being bled out that way.

2 Will it go off air? GH's contract is up in April I believe, and there has been no news on whether or not the show will be renewed for another year or if it will be cancelled in 2021. As of now, the plan is to resume taping at the end of the month, with new shows appearing in September! However, its a fluid situation in California, and the govenor is very close to shutting everything down again, if that occurs, then ALL production will cease, and wont start up again until given the green light.

• Erik

Seems unlikely, since it's been on the air for 50 years or whatever.

• Kathy

All shows are probably losing money, because they cannot make new episodes.

• No, this soap opera has been losing viewers dues to lack of storylines and it is getting boring. Soap Opera are not losing money as they make their money from commercials.

So if they cancel this sopa its because of the lack of fans watching it also, they go by ther ratings.  Money has nothing to do with it

I'd suggest it's not the loss of money but the fact that filming stopped with Covid 19, for obvious reasons and most soaps have, or are running out of those episodes that were filmed before Covid 19.    Many plan to restart filming again soon.

GH will resume filming in July 2020, that's what I heard. 

I for one miss "The Young and the Restless" the most. Abby and Chance were just beginning their love affair, and Victor looked as if he was about to crash and burn. Also it seemed as if Nikki would assume a larger role in the drama.  I don't even turn to the channel which broadcasts these soaps anymore.  I figure if they ever return someone will call me or I will be struck by a lightening bolt, warning me away!    

I'm seriously afraid all of our beloved soaps are gonna be gone. They can't make new ones and these reruns are pretty boring.