Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Solutions for keeping cool in a car with no A/C?

So my car's A/C went out about 4 or 5 weeks ago and i've been sweating a lot while driving. It's also kind of embarrassing when I pick my friends up and we have to drive with the windows down because of how hot it is inside the cabin. I tried adding some refrigerant to my car however, my A/C compressor won't kick on so i'm guessing i'll need to buy a new compressor. My A/C fan works and it gets cooler while driving, but it's not enough to make the entire cabin cool like it was before. I don't want to be driving with the windows down all the time because of my window regulator failing and I don't want to spend so much money in repairs. I recently just thought of just getting some ice packs and a cooler and throwing them in my trunk to cool my car (SUV). I don't want to buy portable air conditioners and fans for my car because it's just more clutter inside. Any solutions? It's a BMW 3 series SUV with 63,000 miles.

• Mr.357

If you know someone with a walk in freezer big enough to park your car in, you could wet down the seats, park the car in the freezer and then you can be cooled through the seats.  No AC required.

get AC. system checked .often its a simple case of adding new refrigerant ! or compressor or condenser failed .no point guessing .not cheap but a refill and check on system is not expensive!  an investment really if keeping car. at least a check and a quotation to start with.

I drive with my windows down the vast majority of the time, even when it is extremely hot/humid - and even though the AC in my car works perfectly fine.

I will sometimes make exceptions for when other people are riding in my car, but I never feel like I'm under any obligation to do so.

As far as your A/C - you need to take it to some shops and get quotes for fixing it.

Yes check that......

Arizona 4-40 cooling.  All 4 windows down and 40 mph.

You clearly have not been running your a?C weekly for a few minutes.

This keeps it in good condition.

If you don't it seises and that in turn will effect the way the car's engine burns fuel.

The compressor will not engage unless you have enough refrigerant pressure, this is to keep it from burning out.  You probably have a leak that needs to be found and fixed.

I'd be surprised if a BMW with that low a mileage would need a compressor. You say it gets cool a little while driving. Can you see the compressor clutch spinning the compressor or is the outer part of the clutch only spinning? I'd find someone that knows what they are doing to help you put a can of AC Pro in the system. If the compressor is spinning you are still low on 134a.

In the meantime, park in the shade when you can. Use a sunscreen behind the windshield or whatever windows are in the sun when parked. Tell your friends your a/c is faulty. It's nothing to be embarrassed about.  If they don't like it, they can always get out

BMW ?   Right, the Quandt's were better at building ovens than air conditioners.