Should I use a ring light or a soft box for my at home Birthday photo shoot?

Which one will be better ? Will there be a difference in the look of the photos if I used a ring light instead of a soft box?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you have both, give them a try, separately and together in different positions. They have different effects and changing their angles and distances from you increases the number of possibilities you can achieve.

• Sumi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

There is definitely a different look to the light coming from a ring light vs a soft box or umbrella.

Some people like soft boxes better than ring lights for portraits because ring lights produce donut-shaped catch lights in the eyes. https://i.pinimg.com/736x/82/6e/37/826e37539e32ada...

For those people, they will often prefer an umbrella or soft box over a ring light.

A ring light an undefused bare bulb, as opposed to the light source in a soft box or umbrella.  Therefore, a ring light will produce a harder-looking light than a softbox or if bouncing the light off of or shooting through a white umbrella.  If you use a silver umbrella, you'll get a similar harshness to the shadows compared to a bare-bulb lighting setup.

Instead of a ring light, you may want to consider getting a beauty dish, but even that depends upon what type of look you want to create, the amount of space you have and other considerations.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Ringlights can produce donut-shaped reflections in people's eyes. That is not very flattering. A softbox is better and it is used by photojournalists to photograph people during news conferences.

• Sky
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Each one will have different looks that widely vary based on how you use them, and which one you use really depends on the kind of photos you're making.  If you're doing some nice portraits then you'd probably want a soft box, as well as a reflector or white bounce card to reflect some light up into the shadows.  A ring light is more for when you want a very even light with the camera at the center of the light source.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.