Mom is angry about how I cook?

Tonight, I was attempting to make some dinner and my mom got really mad at me and said I didn't know how to cook anything. I told her I know how to cook some things but she said anything I make is not edible and that it is weird I don't know how. She said I will have to cook when I get married. 

She just kept going on and on about it and said I was getting defensive. I then proceeded to say that I can cook some dishes and even offered to help my mom out. She then said well you still don't cook actual meals. I don't really cook from scratch but know the basics. I also have watched some cooking videos which didn't help me. 

Also, my family cooks at different times of the day so it is hard for me to cook too. I think she later agreed with me on that. 

Why was she so angry with me?

• e9601:

Shame on her. She sounds like she has anger issues and is jealous of you. Everyone makes cooking mistakes, don't let it get you down. Get some library books on cooking (I have) and try your best. I'm sure you'll do good.

You’ll not learn unless you do it. No reason for her to be nasty.

the bible says not to harass your children and she is harassing you.(Collosions 3:21) Also Ephesians 6:4 do not provoke your children to anger.

She just mad cause she realized she never actually took the time to teach you how to cook. You'll get better. Use the internet to learn.

If your mother is angry about you not being able to cook, then she should teach you how to cook. Failing that pick up a recipe book and follow the instructions. Part of a parents job is to prepare their offspring for adult life and this includes teaching how to cook. 

• KTJoe

Cook Mother food to brag about. Buy a cookbook such (Rachel Ray open house cookbook) or stick to easy meals like hot-dogs and beans. Can goods "oh-so-delicious"  open can of "Hormel chili" add green peppers, red peppers and onions. Cook per can instruction than pour over cooked rice like gravy. "Bone-apple-tee". eat up 

She could be angry because neurotic bc there's just a certain way she likes things and she can't communicate effectively enough to tell you to do it that way.

She could be controlling.

She could be anxious that you won't be able to feed and cook for yourself the way she wants you to. Like somehow, it's a threat to your health or nutrition.

If you're going to cook and eat with her. Get one of those packaged meal kits like Blue Apron, Home chef, green chef so that you guys could avoid that fight. Or order food.

Your fault for letting her demean your about your abilities and not throwing it back it her face by saying: "Then teach me to cook properly"

Of course there is always more to the story than just the one side (your side). Maybe see a family therapist to get at the cause of her anger.

Control issues. You’ll not learn unless you do it. No reason for her to be nasty. 

• kswck2

Well i don't know about having to cook when you are married-my wife doesn't cook, but then she married a professional chef. 

But you Do need to Know How to cook. And cooking is not hard, but it Is difficult to be really good at it. So look around in your town, does the local schools give classes? Try that. 

Just keep in mind that even professional mess things up. Cooking is about Experimentation. You are not Supposed to be able to Make Beef Wellington or Baked Alaska when you first start.