Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 weeks ago

If the founding forefathers said all men are created equal, did they mean all white males only and excluding women and slaves ?

If around today would they ban islam and bring back slavery? 

Or pit all white men are created equal instead???  I'm wondering if no way in their mind they assumed white America would be brought down by leftism hijacking classic liberals as a party. 

Think about it. They did not free black slaves in their lifetime.

I'm honestly asking as a conservative. 

Islam attacks white christian values and non muslims. 

• NiJo
    1 week ago

That's precisely what they meant. Do not fault our GREAT founding documents for that. Modifying the MLK line, we will always be struggling to live up to the motto of our creed. I hope the struggle continues in perpetuity. 

• Mark
    1 week ago

Not even ALL white men...  You had to be a landowner to be able to vote. Some "all men are created equal".

• John

if your not 3/5ths white and a landowner you cant vote.

• NiJo
      1 week agoReport

You're confusing Dread Scott with voting rights. Study up!

They did what they thought was the best thing to do for them and hoped that the country would last a very long time.

Of course not. Many of the founding fathers were strongly against enslavement of anyone of any color. But, unfortunately, many were also NOT against it. There was a lot of debate and heated arguments during the writing of the constitution about this issue, but they realized that the country would never be free to make the move to free slaves if they spent years arguing about it, so they shelved it for the time being and a Republican president named Abraham Lincoln dealt with the issue some eighty years later.

I think that if they tried to re-enslave people, we'd have a revolution like they did in Haiti where no prisoners were taken. 

Don't forget that men needed to own land and pay taxes on it until the 1840s

Native Americans, were not made citizens who could vote until 1924.

From my own experience as a child in South Carolina, I could see that most white people felt non-whites to be uneducated and unfit to vote (hence literacy tests).  But between 1956 and 1964 they build a ton of fine segregated schools so they could not be accused of violating the "Separate but equal" law, so it was not an argument for future generations.

Sure did mean that since the rights to be protected did not extend to them.  In all the censuses taken before the civil war slaves were counted as 3/5ths of a person, so that is pretty clear they were not included.

If they were around today is pointless. They were a product of their times.   They made huge advances in expanding the rights of individuals in the context of their time.  Holding them to today's standards is like damning Newton for not recognizing quantum mechanics and relativity. 

That said they were thinkers and creators pushing the bounds of conventional thinking. They would probably be liberals and leftists. They even supported ideologically revolutions in other countries against rule by royalty.  Thomas Paine was arrested in France for supporting the revolution there.  He would be branded a violence promoting radical by today's standards.

As for banning Islam that is idiotic, Thomas Jefferson wrote,  "“The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts as are only injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.” 

Nor would most of them bring back slavery. Many opposed it.  Even some of the slave owners saw the inherent evil but did not give freedom because of economic reasons. The were brilliant men but like all people flawed. Even Jefferson again supported abolition in a gradual manner while owning slaves.

The Founders undoubtedly wanted a white patriarchy.  Men created equal before the law in terms of taxation didn't mean cultural Marxism like the left interprets it as today.

“It has often given me pleasure to observe that independent America was not composed of detached and distant territories, but that one connected, fertile, widespreading country was the portion of our western sons of liberty...

With equal pleasure I have as often taken notice that Providence has been pleased to give this one connected country to one united people--a people descended from the same ancestors, speaking the same language, professing the same religion, attached to the same principles of government, very similar in their manners and customs, and who, by their joint counsels, arms, and efforts, fighting side by side throughout a long and bloody war, have nobly established general liberty and independence.”-John Jay, Federalist Paper 2

Treaty of Tripoli. John Adams. First treaty with Islam.

• That was to end piracy, not allow for wholesale immigration. 

Democrats claim the founding fathers were liberal. LOL