Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 month ago

how do you dispose of old mattress?

i want to get rid of an old mattress, how do i do this ? just leave it near the garbage ? do i need to call the waste department ? how exactly do i do that?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Check with your landlord / property mgr. At my complex, tenants including me typically 

will leave them outside the dumpster for trash pick-up to take when here twice a week.

• Rick
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

tie it to the roof of your car and drive down the closest Interstate, cutting the ties as you go ...............OOOOPPPS !!

• 1 month ago

In my town we have special stickers for garbage that isn't recycling or mixed common waste. Yard waste stickers are green and big items like mattresses use pink stickers, the bigger the item the more stickers u you need.

• 1 month ago

You'll need to call your city or county to find out. Every place has different regulations about putting old mattresses in the trash or taking them to city dumps. Your regular trash haulers may pick it up and dispose of it if you call them and let them know. Or they can tell you what to do with it. 

DON'T burn it. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Mr. P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you cut the sides you can remove the fabric and put it in the trash. There is also a layer of thick felt that is useful for dog beds - so you can advertise that or use it yourself.

That leaves a layer of cardboard - which can be recycled. and finally the steel springs and frame. This is ideal to grow plants up so you can give it to gardeners, or use bolt cutters to cut it into small sections and weigh it in as scrap metal for cash. You can also easily cut it to size and use the felt to make a new cushion for outside benches with a zip-up cover.

People replace them mainly because they are told to by the manufacturers....who want to sell more of them. Doh!

Sometimes a spring does break, but it is easy to replace them, just most people don't.

• L
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Buy a new mattress and have then haul away the old one.

• 1 month ago

Order a skip and put the mattress in there.

• 1 month ago

Just leave it on the side of the road.That's what most people do.

• Edwena
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Take it out to the edge of town, set it up real nice on the shoulder of the highway.  Stick a sign on it that says "Free".  It will be gone within 10 minutes.  Someone will think that the kids can wrestle on it in the back yard, it will make a good dog bed, etc. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It depends on the policies of the trash hauler.

In most places I've lived, the guys who dump the garbage cans' contents into the truck are not the same employees who pick up discarded furniture or mattresses. So start with calling the waste department. They'll be able to give you information that will keep it from becoming an eyesore sitting at the curb in the weather until somebody takes it away.

Be warned that where I live now, they won't pick up mattresses at all, so you have to find a way to get them to the dump and pay to leave them there. It's a huge hassle.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.