Do you think that if you pray for something it will surely happen?

Personally I say it doesn't guarantee it will happen. I mean when my beloved aunt was dying from cancer I prayed that she would be cured but she died. So prayer doesn't guarantee anything. What do you think?

• Git

Prayer by itself is not altogether bad. It is a stress release mechanism where the conclusion is inevitable and you are powerless to prevent.

It is only bad when it replaces what could be done in a situation where the conclusion is not inevitable and you could had prevented it but chose not to. Example, you see a person heading for a bad fall. Instead of doing something, you stood by and pray and hope your prayer for him will work.

If you are in agreement (meaning in God's will) with the Lord it will happen.

God loves to strengthen our faith by showing us things in His word or in dreams or visions.  It takes faith to move mountains, but God says we can do it and I believe it.

it surely wont happen!!

• Carym

Of Course!

[1 Peter 3:12] For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and His ears are inclined to their prayer. But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”  <If prayer is guided by the Holy Spirit, it has no boundaries. Such prayers build upon the attributes of God who is omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent>

Now, exercise yourself in prayer for God hears not, except when He is called upon. A good place to start is God’s Word [John 15:7]. Then follow this prayer example: "Lord, be Thou my Teacher, and show me how to bury (crucify) the SELF."  Make it your daily, hourly, minute-by-minute prayer "whenever-SELF-returns."  For when we surrender our will to the will of God, our prayers become more specific and sincere -- A contrite heart, God will not despise [Psalm 51:17].  

• Paul

Of course not. What decent parent gives their children everything they ask for?  Our Heavenly Father listens to our every prayer, and responds by giving us what is best for us in terms of earthly happiness and eternal salvation.

• susan

No, I don't think that. When my boss's son was in Iraq in 2005, I prayed hard and often that he would come home from the war alive. But he died over there, and his body was brought home. Now what I prayed for can't ever happen.

I believe that praying has value, but I don't believe we are guaranteed that what we ask for will come true. 

• swolt

Prayer is useless, despite what the Bible says about it.  This verse is dismissed all the time by Christians, proving that they don't actually believe what the text says:

Mark 11:24  Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Must be within the Will of God.

• Praying won’t work unless the deity you are praying to, decides to take action and help. 

Before answering this post, I’d like to send my condolences. Death is an enemy to us, but we can look forward to the future when God will eliminate death and all other causes of suffering. Although God does not answer every prayer, he still listens. During Bible times, Paul begged to have a chronic eye condition be healed, but still had to endure his illness 

(2 Corinthians 12:7, 8 / Acts 19:11, 12; 20:9, 10). There are some examples in the Bible of people whose received miraculous answers to their prayers (2 Kings 20:1-7) but even then, it was not common. However, God’s future plan for us will answer all our prayers permanently. He will restore the earth back to its paradise conditions  and people will be resurrected to live forever on it. Other prayers can be answered in the meantime if it is in harmony with God’s will, so he still wants us to pray to him to draw close to him and be rewarded with the promises he has for mankind.