S asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 2 months ago

What's the best way to make money given my circumstances? ?

I'm a 21 year old college student, I live away from home and live with my grandparents(who are very lenient with what I do.) 

To put it simply I intend to buy a motorcycle(if you want specifics its a Kawasaki Ninja 650 ABS,) I work part time at a retail store and due to COVID-19 payroll is bad, It looks like I'll only be getting 2 days a week with 4.5-5 shifts average. 

With that said I would like to find other means to get the money(my credit score is really good, and since the APR on the bike is $7,400 I want to walk in there with 5 grand at least,) do you have any recommendations? Since im also a full time student the simple solution of just getting a second normal job with a set schedule wont work. 

Being a college student is just a "cop out" from going into the workforce right after high school. You could have been a full time city worker digging ditches.  Covid is not a problem for them for they are not close together. And they work in the SUN getting Vitamin D from the sun (which combats Covid) and you got a sun tan.

. Instead you went the "Professional student" route.

. Bin dare, dun dat Party hearty, babe fucin drunk.

Then you pick up what jobs you can. Perm, part time, casual.

..That is why students eat Mac&Cheese(because they are rolling in cash)NOT

You don't buy NEW.  That is the trick.  Work your way to new.

. Since this virus is a NEW THING, a pandemic not seen in 100 years then it is all different for you. Less advantages or opportunities.  Still the jobs are there - mainly in construction and in agriculture(because the season waits for no man or disease.  It grows and has to be harvested & packed & other jobs in agriculture.

. Doing jobs like say moving peoples stuff into a house or apartment=you could get sick so you don't WANT them.  Avoiding close contact with people is the job you want. Look around.  You won't get a job as a store keep.  Walmart hires & fires-on a regular basis. That seems normal for them. I did them once, never again. Microsoft stores are also closing BRICK & MORTAR STORES -- so that is gone.  More people are looking for "any work" so you "got to be flexible" to do those jobs. It is an EMPLOYERS MARKET. 

• adam

Part time job. Low hours. Full time student.  No time to work another job. Ask your grandparents for a loan because as of right now you dont have the means . Long term loan with understanding that it will be paid back after you graduate and have started full time employment. OR sell drugs!

Buy cheaper, you have a budget (set by your income) stick within it.

• fuzzy

1/ dont buy new for your first bike! You'll drop it at least once

2/ NEVER borrow to buy a depreciating asset unless it is an essential item for your continued existence. You'll write it off before you've paid for it (see (1))

3/ buy a 250 to 350 LAMS to learn on, mistakes will happen a bit slower & you're more likely to stay out of hospital.

4/ take a learner rider course before you buy (you may not like it)

5/ check insurance costs for your bike & age (Sit down before you do it)

6/ Add on the costs of protective clothing; you WILL need gloves, boots, jacket, helmet, wet weather gear

Every new rider drops their bike at leaast once in the first 12 months through inexperience & often again through overconfidence. 

• Scott

You won't qualify for a loan with only a part time job. And the APR (annual percentage rate) can't be $7,400. That's probably the list price.

You have no money, have a part time job that does not pay good, you go to college and you want to buy a motorcycle.  I do not know what they teach in school now but logical thinking is clearly not one of them.

Ask the Grandparents if they can guarantee you a loan. You will need to offer to do something major for them in return. But if it was me, I certainly wouldn't be spending like that on a bike or car while the Covid 19 emergency is still out of control and so many firms are making cuts or going bust. You will lose so much money if you need to sell it.

Yeah, I have a solution. Forget buying a motorcycle until your situation improves and you can make way more money. Buying a bike now would be foolish.