Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 month ago

What was the greatest decade for movies ?

The 1910s were da bomb

The 1980s, 1990s and 2000s.

2000s is full of highs.

The cowboy era Clint, Wayne, Charles Branson, 

The 1930s and 1950s

The 80's. It spurred so many beloved classics.

• Steel

I think it would be mostly subjective as to pertain to the decade in which one grew up or was in his/her most formative years. For me, it would be the 80s, but there are a lot of great movies made in the 70s that I enjoy, before their plots and concepts became cliché by today's standards. While my personal favorite movies are mainly from the 80s, I'll side with the majority here and say the 70s were the greatest decade for movies overall.

I'm convinced it's the 70's. The censor doors were blown off with the porn explosion and more free minded thinking after the hippie movement and cultural revolutions in America and France especially. The amount of experimental and pioneering film going on in many places around the world was never more prevalent than back in that decade. There are so many mind blowing cult films from that time, so many great mainstream films too, it's a goldmine type era in film. The goldmine era really.

The 30's and 60's were really great as well, but definitely not as wide ranging and abundant as the 70's were. Every decade has some greats of course. Even this one. The 40's and 50's for the most part were too censored to even contend. Every decade since the 70's has been too money minded to contend. You can't have suits making many choices on art, it rarely works well. You need artists to create the art, the suits to sell it, but it doesn't really work like that much anymore.

The 50s and 60s when they were all obsessed with atom bombs and commies. All those cool movies with aliens and giant bugs.

The 1980s was definitely the greatest for movies. So many classics.